Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-07 07:30:58

numen

Any musicians? Take a look here

If you're a musician, or knows someone who is, you might be interested in this.

I'm planning to record some CD's. And with some I mean a couple of hundred, or possibly thousands if this goes well. This is for a free culture campaign here in Sweden with the aim to spread free culture and give music artists some recognition. We pay for all costs to spread your music, so there's nothing to worry about. The CD's will be free, so I'm sure lots of people would love to get a hand on them. It's great promotion for your part.

For the interested, here's a link with more detailed info: http://forums.audiostreet.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7823

Hope to hear from you soon!

I hope it's alright to post this here, I need all the help I can get with this project! smile

Bang postponed. Not big enough. Reboot.

#2 2006-06-07 09:38:56

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Any musicians? Take a look here

Sounds cool. I think most struggling musicians would be happy to give some songs away for free (so long as their name is on it) in order to get a fan base.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2006-06-20 06:30:55

18/8/91

Is this thing only going on in sweden. Sounds great, here in the uk ther isnt much like that, shame really, seeing as there are quite a few great unsigned bands in our area, cough myself included! cough.

The universe is infinte, everything has and will happen, will you be in the group of right choices or bad ones?

#4 2006-07-22 08:28:20

Devantè
Real Member

If this applies to the UK, I'd be interested. smile

#5 2006-07-26 08:14:43

numen

I've got responses from bands all over the world, some really good ones too! And yes, it applies to UK as well Devanté smile
I'm a struggling electronica producer myself, so I know how much artists appreciate free promotion.

Send your songs over, it's still running you know ;] (though I can't upload them to the server yet where the rest of the songs are stored, my ISP is having some strange problems all over town, hope it gets fixed soon)

Last edited by numen (2006-07-26 08:17:54)

#6 2006-08-03 12:28:35

Zhylliolom
Real Member

Hmm, maybe you have a low quality mic? My friend records hundreds of songs and they all sound great, I can ask him what kind of mic he has. I guess I have another friend who records a lot and it sounds good... I can ask both of them.

As a matter of fact, I used to record myself too, I can look back to my old recordings and see if they're fuzzy sounding or anything. Of course this will require research on my part, as all my recordings are no longer in my possession.

#7 2006-08-04 04:03:03

ben

Hey! I am also a very keen amateur musician. Is there a way of recording directly onto my hard drive? My computor has a "mic" socket. Do I need special software?

#8 2006-08-04 11:07:09

Zhylliolom
Real Member

As long as you have a mic it should be possible. You probably have "Sound Recorder" (under Start->Programs->Accessories->Entertainment), and you can use that to do the most basic recordings. I wouldn't recommend it though, you will have a very hard time editing and cleaning up anything, and you'll want to be able to convert the .wav files Sound Recorder makes into .mp3's, since .wav's are pretty big. I use a program called Audacity, it's free, and it has plenty of features that will keep you happy. You can edit any part of a recording, have different tracks (for example, record yourself playing some chords and the you can use that as backing for a solo, I'm bad at explaining it...), and there are some effects you can use (I think I only ever used noise removal though). So if you're looking for some programming software, maybe Audacity would be a good thing to look into.

#9 2006-08-04 19:30:46

Devantè
Real Member

Wow, sounds good. I'll download that somewhere when I get the chance. I can't play as a band as I don't know anyone who can play guitar, apart from people who have just picked up the guitar and are just learning the basics. I've always wanted to play over myself - Maybe when I get Audacity I will be able to for once.

#10 2006-08-05 04:37:03

All_Is_Number

Devanté wrote:

Maybe when I get Audacity I will be able to for once.

I used Audacity to mix some trance. It crashed often, so I had to remember to save often, but aside from that I was very happy with the free software.

Last edited by All_Is_Number (2006-08-05 04:37:35)

You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once.

#11 2006-08-05 08:10:08

Zhylliolom
Real Member

Yes, I remember Audacity's only problem being occasional crashes. They weren't bad enough to outshine the positive aspects of the software, however. Just save as often as you get something worth saving recorded and you'll be good.

#12 2006-08-06 02:48:35

numen

Well I didn't even have time to install it fully before it crashed. I picked language and *poof*  and my computer rebooted. Didn't get the chance to enjoy it's positive aspects one bit : )
I saw there was an add-on for VST's, that's neat because I use them a lot.

#13 2006-09-22 09:52:34

Chelsea

is it available in new zealand (just wondering).

Theres no other place like home or is there..............

#14 2006-09-24 06:06:15

Devantè
Real Member

Probably. I see no reason why it shouldn't be.

And numen, I'm afraid I've had no luck with the recording.

Board footer