Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-16 07:14:31

Jenny.Jenny

Geometry Review

I need a little help with the last half of my geometry review.

6. How much of the 50-foot circle can the horse reach without getting interrupted by the building? What is that area?

He can reach 3/4 of the 50 foot circle so that would be 3/4  *(50^2) *pi= 5890.48623 feet^2

7. Assume the horse has grazed all of the grass in the area covered by #6 and continues on around the building.  What is the new radius when the rope is interrupted by the building? What is that area covered using this new radius of rope before the rope is interrupted by the building again?

8. What if the horse had gone around the building the other way.  What would the new radius have been when the rope was interrupted by the building?  What is that area covered using this new radius of rope before the rope is interrupted by the building again?

9. The areas you found in 7 and 8 overlap each other. How much do they overlap? What *approximate* shape do they make? What is that area?

10. What is the total grazing area the horse can reach using your calculations from #6-9?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1liVYnQf1j2g64IvcV-tUkc81_tnuaRkNm_DsIbwqs6o/edit This is the image for the questions.

Last edited by Jenny.Jenny (2019-09-16 07:21:40)

#2 2019-09-16 19:55:36

Bob
Administrator

Re: Geometry Review

hi Jenny.Jenny

Welcome to the forum.

This looks like a compu_hi question.  They get a bit upset when their questions are posted on-line for 'copyright reasons'. It has been asked before, although it was a goat last time.

You will find an analysis of how to do the calculation here:

http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=18391

It's a long thread and starts with other questions.  Your question starts at post 48.  I haven't checked the measurements … it is possible the distances have been changed along with the animal so you'll need to adapt your answer to fit.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2019-09-18 01:53:38

Jenny.Jenny

Re: Geometry Review

Thank you for the link, I was just confused a bit on how to do the work! smile

Board footer