Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-22 20:50:08

Monox D. I-Fly

[ASK] Is Expected Frequency Rounded Up or Down?

A die is tossed 100 times. What's the expected frequency that the number appears will be 4?

The probability is 1/6, so the expected frequency is 1/6 × 100, but that results in a fraction (16 2/3). Do we need to round it up or down? Is the answer 16 or 17?

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#2 2019-08-23 04:02:29

Bob
Administrator

Re: [ASK] Is Expected Frequency Rounded Up or Down?

hi Monox D. I-Fly

As it's an abstract concept, I don't think it has to be a whole number so 16 2/3 seems ok to me without rounding. ** But it also depends on why you want to calculate this anyway.  Maybe, in some situations, it would be obvious which way to round.  If you have to round, then go for 17 as its closer.

Bob

** You might calculate the mean wage of a group of workers.  Your answer might not be the actual amount of any of them.  Does that matter?

Or the number of times heads will come up if I toss a coin twice.  I might throw my coin twice and get heads both times.  That doesn't mean my calculation was wrong.

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2019-08-23 14:00:15

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: [ASK] Is Expected Frequency Rounded Up or Down?

Thanks, I will go with 17, then.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

Board footer