Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-06 07:24:48

pcallahan

Does mathisfunforum block certain IPs from access?

I have noticed that mathisfunforum is reachable from work and from my phone but not from my home wifi. It was reachable before, and now just times out. This has been true for about a week.

I made a post and did multiple previews that failed apparently (guessing) because I had more than 3 hyperlinks in my post. After figuring this out, I edited it down before posting. I wonder if I triggered a spam detector. Any idea? Could also just be a coincidence, but it is true that this website has been unreachable from home for a week or so.

#2 2019-03-06 22:32:21

Bob
Administrator

Re: Does mathisfunforum block certain IPs from access?

hi pcallahan

The technical aspects of the forum works are a bit of a mystery to me.  If the problem persists we'll have to get MathsIsFun himself on it.

I've had a look at the IP addresses and there's no block on either of yours.  It is possible to ban one to prevent a spammer from just changing to a fresh username.  But there's no ban on yours.

A while back I created  a page which was an index to a series of geometry pages.  So it had lots of hyperlinks.  I fell foul of some forum limit and had to set up a second page to complete the task.

The forum records the date an IP was last used, so it might help the investigation if you can remember these for each of the two IPs.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2019-03-08 07:12:18

pcallahan

It works from my office, but still times out at home. Of course, I can't post from there to comment. Maybe something else is blocking (has my DNS decided mathisfunform is a suspect site?). Who knows. Interesting...

#4 2019-03-13 09:09:13

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Most likely the server automatically banned your home IP address. With some internet providers just resetting the modem gets you a new IP, or else I can search the list of banned IPs to find yours.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Board footer