Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-08 05:42:06

Devantè
Real Member

Steve Irwin is Dead.

Steve Irwin is dead - He died from being stabbed by a giant manta ray a few days ago. Steve Irwin was swimming in Australia, like he always does, when he was stabbed by this creature. The creature pierced straight through Steve Irwin's heart, and like a true hero, he pulled it out, then died.

Steve Irwin was a hero. He was a Crocodile Hunter, and he took a lot of risks - But he lived. Some say he deserved to die - What a horrible thing to say. Sure, he may have taken many upon many of deadly and terrifying risks, but he knew what he was doing. He was a professional, and he will always remain The Crocodile Hunter. Nobody can compare to him - He was one of a kind, and he did his job with happiness and amusement. Some say he is an idiot or a moron - But clearly he was never such a person. Steve Irwin will always live on in all of us, as The Crocodile Hunter.

Rest In Peace, Steve Irwin.

It's a sad month for everybody.

#2 2006-09-08 06:12:00

espeon
Real Member

Re: Steve Irwin is Dead.

yep visit my website to visit the funeral for him. also everyone on msn plz put a turtle in front of their msn name in memory of him

RIP steve!

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 2006-09-08 06:47:31

Devantè
Real Member

Funeral? That's no funeral. O.o

I think you mean e-memorial. And even more reason not to read most of it, people are insulting him there.

Steve, you will be with all of us. Always.

Last edited by Devanté (2006-09-08 18:32:39)

#4 2006-09-08 11:19:07

MathsIsFun
Administrator

A true champion. He may have looked a little crazy at times but he knew what he was doing. And he didn't rise to fame through luck - he worked hard to achieve what he did.

And what a fantastic idea - a hunter who does not kill, but saves instead!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2006-09-08 15:53:03

mikau

It is very sad indeed. But when you take that many risks, then given enough time, something WILL go wrong. It is a mathematical certainty. What I'm not sure about is, was he persuing this manta ray? Or trying to observe it? Or did it just swim out of no where and stab him?

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#6 2006-09-08 17:34:44

justlookingforthemoment

mikau wrote:

What I'm not sure about is, was he persuing this manta ray? Or trying to observe it? Or did it just swim out of no where and stab him?

Shortly after 11:00 a.m. AEST (01:00 UTC) on 4 September 2006, Irwin was fatally pierced in the chest by a stingray barb whilst snorkelling at the Great Barrier Reef, at Batt Reef, which is located off the coast of Port Douglas in Queensland. Irwin was in the area filming his own documentary, to be called The Ocean's Deadliest, but weather had stalled filming. Irwin decided to take the opportunity to film some shallow water shots for a segment in the television program his daughter Bindi was hosting, when, according to his friend and colleague, John Stainton, he swam too close to one of the animals. "He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat the Croc One.

The events were caught on camera, and a copy of the footage was handed to the Queensland Police. After reviewing the footage of the incident and speaking to the cameraman who recorded it, marine documentary filmmaker and former spearfisherman Ben Cropp speculated that the stingray "felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead." In such a case, the stingray responds to danger by automatically flexing the serrated barb on its tail (which can measure up to 25 cm or about 10 inches in length) in an upward motion.

Cropp said Irwin had accidentally boxed in the animal. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest. It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger." The stinging of Irwin by the bull ray was "a one-in-a-million thing," Cropp told Time magazine. "I have swum with many rays, and I have only had one do that to me."

Some reports have claimed that Irwin pulled the barb out of his chest shortly before losing consciousness. Irwin's colleague John Stainton suggested that this was the case when he first described the video to the media, saying, "Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here [in the chest], and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone." In a susbsequent CNN interview, however, he denied that Irwin pulled out the barb, insisting that the anecdote was "absolute rubbish". It is thought, in the absence of a coroner's report, that a combination of the toxins and the puncture wound from the barb caused Irwin to die of cardiac arrest, with most damage being inflicted by tears to arteries or other main blood vessels. It is also possible that he died quickly as a result of a punctured aorta. Until the coroner's report is released, however, the precise cause of Irwin's death remains conjecture.

Crew members aboard his boat called the emergency services in the nearest city of Cairns and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby the Low Islets to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later. According to Dr. Ed O'Loughlin, who treated Irwin, "it became clear fairly soon that he had non-survivable injuries. . . . He had a penetrating injury to the left front of his chest. He had lost his pulse and wasn't breathing."

Irwin's body was flown to a morgue in Cairns. His wife, Terri Irwin, was on a walking tour in Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park in Tasmania at the time, and returned via a private plane from Devonport to the Sunshine Coast with their two children.

As of 1996, only seventeen worldwide fatalities had been recorded due to stingrays, and the attack on Irwin is believed to be the only fatality from a stingray ever captured on film.

More at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_irwin

#7 2006-09-08 18:29:20

Devantè
Real Member

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/827814

That page contains a small portion of the information.

Last edited by Devanté (2006-09-09 03:49:39)

#8 2006-09-08 18:30:22

Devantè
Real Member

It's a long read, but it's still worth it to honour Steve Irwin.

#9 2006-09-08 19:04:44

espeon
Real Member

lol yh. he was filming something about the sea i think

Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 2006-09-08 19:29:16

Devantè
Real Member

You don't have to read the whole thing, just the bits that interest you. Use Ctrl+F to find what you need. Try looking for 'Ocean's Deadliest'.

#11 2006-09-08 20:07:26

espeon
Real Member

i didnt read the whole thing in fact i didnt read anything lol.

#12 2006-09-08 21:48:42

Devantè
Real Member

Er...

Basically, the crew of Steve Irwin headed back to their camp, where they finished filming 'Ocean's Deadliest'. It's what Steve would've wanted.

You...have read justlooking's post, right? smile

#13 2006-09-08 21:59:02

espeon
Real Member

no.
i knew it cause i gave the info to auron on my forum and he posted the topic

#14 2006-09-09 03:31:50

Ricky

Devanté, to copy full text without comments and reference (such as a url) violates copyright laws.  What you should do is copy a small snippet to get the main idea, then link to the article.

Trust the people who visit this forum to open links.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#15 2006-09-09 03:38:59

espeon
Real Member

lol plz make ur writing smaller cause i just get bored and skip it lol even though i know its probBLY IM[ORTANT

#16 2006-09-09 03:48:19

Devantè
Real Member

Ricky wrote:

Devanté, to copy full text without comments and reference (such as a url) violates copyright laws.  What you should do is copy a small snippet to get the main idea, then link to the article.

Trust the people who visit this forum to open links.

OK, I'll shorten it down to just a link. There's nothing I can really pick out and display as relevant information.

#17 2006-09-09 22:17:52

espeon
Real Member

lol the relevant info is that he got kileld by a manta ray! lets handcuff it! he murdered him!

#18 2006-09-09 22:48:00

Devantè
Real Member

I find it particularly strange as to how and why that happened. As far as I know and have read, I can't see any reason for Steve Irwin to be attacked. Period.

#19 2006-09-10 04:09:00

espeon
Real Member

All Court In Session! I Charge The Manta Ray Charged Guilty! Punishment Is A Inifinity Years In The Desert!

#20 2006-09-10 04:44:54

Devantè
Real Member

^Sentenced with a person who keeps on saying 'pi/0'.

#21 2006-09-10 06:30:41

espeon
Real Member

*all the people start shouting at the gigantic fish tank in the middle of the court*

ORDER ORDER! THE SENTANCE IS INFINITY YEARS IN THE DESERT WITH THE PERSON WHO SAYS PI/0!

COURT SESSION DONE!

#22 2006-09-10 06:46:29

Devantè
Real Member

I think Steve Irwin's funeral was a few days ago. May he Rest In Peace.

#23 2006-09-10 06:55:41

espeon
Real Member

yes and the manta is getting his punishment

#24 2006-10-08 20:48:55

Devantè
Real Member

I see that some of us are in an RPG of our own.

#25 2006-10-09 06:04:12

cray

I think he might not have died if he had used the sunblock I use
on the side of the tube a description of the sunblock says...
"Blocks the effects of harmful rays" !!!!!

Board footer