Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-10 04:18:56

Cliff

Sequences

(a) Determine all nonnegative integers r such that it is possible for an infinite arithmetic sequence to contain exactly r terms that are integers. Prove your answer.

(b) Determine all nonnegative integers r such that it is possible for an infinite geometric sequence to contain exactly r terms that are integers. Prove your answer.

Thank you!

#2 2018-06-10 19:18:16

Bob
Administrator

Re: Sequences

hi Cliff

Welcome to the forum.

I think the answer to (a) is r=1

Here's my logic:

Certainly 1 is a possibility.

eg.  a, a + π, a + 2π + a + 3π, …. where  a is an integer and π = pi, is such a sequence.  'a' doesn't have to be the first term; you could have many terms leading up  to 'a' and then as shown.

So what about r > 1 ?

Let's say a and b are two integer terms in a sequence, m terms apart

so b - a = md where d id the common difference.  As a and b are integers, so is md.

so another integer term is c = b + md.

So if there are r such integer terms then it is always possible to find one more by adding md to the last.  So if r > 1 there will be an infinite number of such terms.

I'll post again if I find an answer to (b)

LATER EDIT:

I think r = 1 or r = 2 are the only possibilities, but I'm still working on a proof.

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2018-06-10 21:45:48)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2018-06-16 23:11:58

Alg Num Theory
Website

Bob, I think r=0 is also possible for (a).

For (b), I think the answer is all nonnegative integers. Clearly there are infinite geometric sequences with no integers, e.g.

[list=*]
[*]

[/*]
[/list]

If r = 1, add 1 as the first term to the above sequence.

If r > 1, then

[list=*]
[*]

[/*]
[/list]

is an infinite geometric sequence (common ratio 1/r) with exactly r integer terms (the first r of them).

Last edited by Alg Num Theory (2018-06-17 08:17:56)

Me, or the ugly man, whatever (3,3,6)

#4 2018-07-03 10:36:40

!nval!d_us3rnam3

Can someone work me through part (a) of this? It doesn't look like an answer has solidified.

"If we wanna be great, we can't just sit on our hands" - 2017 NFL Bears draft

Board footer