Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-11 10:55:37

SpySee

Group of 30 Table Rotations

Good day ~

I see there are other answers to this questions like this, but as far as I saw not for exactly what I am seeking.

Networking event: The goal is for each person to meet as many people as possible;
They may not repeat tables within day one nor may they repeat within day two - I know this is possible. However, they do not want the attendees to see the same people at the tables over the entire two day event = 7 rotations. Would you tell me if this is possible and share the breakdown? I have done it with a randomize function once and a pivot table...but both times table guests were repeated.

This is the breakdown...
We anticipate 30 participants; 5 tables (6 at a table)

Day One:
Must have three rotations - they may never repeat the same table twice (on this day) nor do they want them to see the same people at a table (however I think with a group of 30 this may be impossible...?)

Day Two:
Must have four rotations - they may never repeat the same table twice (on this day) nor do they want them to see the same people at a table.

Looking forward to your expert advise.
Thank you.

#2 2017-11-25 06:28:15

Alg Num Theory
Website

Re: Group of 30 Table Rotations

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about the dihedral group of degree 30 (order 60)! lol

Anyway, I see you what you mean. I don’t think it’s possible. With more people than tables, a rotation will mean that at least two people sitting at one table will have to sit at the same table and see each other again.

Me, or the ugly man, whatever (3,3,6)

Board footer