Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2006-07-25 08:48:40

Ricky

Re: Devanté's Riddle House

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#27 2006-07-25 19:26:10

Devantè
Real Member

Last edited by Devanté (2006-07-25 19:26:56)

#28 2006-07-25 21:22:18

Kurre

#29 2006-07-25 22:42:04

Devantè
Real Member

Last edited by Devanté (2006-07-25 22:42:24)

#30 2006-07-26 01:48:43

Ricky

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#31 2006-07-26 03:49:02

Devantè
Real Member

Maybe we could try and solve the riddles I posted on page 1? smile

#32 2006-07-26 03:50:36

Zach

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#33 2006-07-26 03:55:16

Devantè
Real Member

(BTW, there's always more riddles to discuss on page 1! smile )

#34 2006-08-01 05:27:40

All_Is_Number

Devanté wrote:

#41 What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries?

Devanté wrote:

#42 You throw away the outside and cook the inside. Then you eat the outside and throw away the inside. What did you eat?

Devanté wrote:

#43 What goes up and down the stairs without moving?

Devanté wrote:

#44 What can you catch but not throw?

Devanté wrote:

#45 I can run but not walk. Wherever I go, thought follows close behind. What am I?

???

Devanté wrote:

#46 What's black and white and red all over?

Devanté wrote:

#47 What goes around the world but stays in a corner?

Devanté wrote:

#48 I have holes in my top and bottom, my left and right, and in the middle. But I still hold water. What am I?

Devanté wrote:

#49 Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I?

Devanté wrote:

#50 The man who invented it doesn't want it. The man who bought it doesn't need it. The man who needs it doesn't know it. What is it?

Devanté wrote:

#51 I run over fields and woods all day. Under the bed at night I sit not alone. My tongue hangs out, up and to the rear, awaiting to be filled in the morning. What am I?

Devanté wrote:

#52 Throw it off the highest building, and I'll not break. But put me in the ocean, and I will. What am I?

???

Devanté wrote:

#53 What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps?

Devanté wrote:

#54 No sooner spoken than broken. What is it?

Devanté wrote:

#55 A certain crime is punishable if attempted but not punishable if committed. What is it?

Devanté wrote:

#56 You use a knife to slice my head and weep beside me when I am dead. What am I?

Devanté wrote:

#57 I'm the part of the bird that's not in the sky. I can swim in the ocean and yet remain dry. What am I?

???

Devanté wrote:

#58 I am mother and father, but never birth or nurse. I'm rarely still, but I never wander. What am I?

Devanté wrote:

#59 I went into the woods and got it. I sat down to seek it. I brought it home with me because I couldn't find it. What is it?

???

Devanté wrote:

#60 I am weightless, but you can see me. Put me in a bucket, and I'll make it lighter. What am I?

You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once.

#35 2006-08-01 07:14:33

Ricky

Devanté wrote:

#52 Throw it off the highest building, and I'll not break. But put me in the ocean, and I will. What am I?

#36 2006-08-01 07:46:47

All_Is_Number

Ricky wrote:

Devanté wrote:

Why would one of those break in the ocean? From the salt? The pressure should be uniform all around, right?

#37 2006-08-01 07:58:31

Ricky

I was thinking deep under the ocean, where there is a lot of pressure.

#38 2006-08-01 08:23:59

All_Is_Number

Ricky wrote:

I was thinking deep under the ocean, where there is a lot of pressure.

Wouldn't that pressure actually allow more air inside without risk of (trying to not give away your answer) "system failure?"

#39 2006-08-01 09:03:57

Ricky

Not 100% positive on this, but I'm pretty sure it's correct.  When putting such an object under water, the water pressure compresses the air, but it also compresses the object.  So while there would be room for more air if the object stayed the same size, it didn't.  Thus, you have an object with highly pressurized gas inside of it, which would act just like a ballon under normal pressure with more air inside.  The deeper you go, it's as if you are putting more air inside the ballon, and eventually it will pop.

#40 2006-08-01 20:31:46

Devantè
Real Member

All_Is_Number

I'll stop doing hides from now on as it takes too long too mark them. I'll just say which ones were correct and which were incorrect...

Correct answers:

42 - I'll accept, but it wasn't the answer I was looking for
46 - Correct but I wasn't thinking of it being in a blender, lol

45, 47, 52, 57, 59 remain for that section.

Ricky - ...I guess, if you think about it that way, but it wasn't the answer I was looking for. Think soft. wink

There is also another answer for #52.

Last edited by Devanté (2006-08-01 20:32:21)

#41 2006-08-02 10:38:39

tt

18. A woman goes into a hardware store to buy something for her house. When asked the price, the clerk replies, "the price of one is twelve cents, the price of forty-four is twenty-four cents, and the price a hundred and forty-four is thirty-six cents. What does the woman want to buy?

#42 2006-08-02 10:52:50

tt

Zach wrote:

#43 2006-08-02 11:37:17

tt

#43. What goes up and down the stairs without moving?

#47. What goes around the world but stays in a corner?

#49. Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I?

#54. No sooner spoken than broken. What is it?

#55. A certain crime is punishable if attempted but not punishable if committed. What is it?

#59. I went into the woods and got it. I sat down to seek it. I brought it home with me because I couldn't find it. What is it?

#44 2006-08-04 04:56:31

Devantè
Real Member

tt:

47, 55 and 59 are correct.

#45 2006-08-14 00:55:45

mathsyperson

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#46 2006-08-14 08:00:56

Devantè
Real Member

Correct, Mathsyperson.

#47 2006-08-14 09:43:10

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Yippee, mathsyperson is back!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#48 2006-08-15 22:45:18

Devantè
Real Member

Some more riddles to keep your brain buzzing...these are quite easy, though.

61. How long did the Hundred Years War last?
62. Which country makes panama hats?
63.  What is a camel's hair brush made of?
64. How long did the Thirty Years War last?
65. What starts with "e" ends with "e" and contains only one letter?
66. Which room has no door, no windows, no floor and no roof?
67.  What do we all put off until tomorrow?
68.  What has eyes but can't see?
69.  What is hard to beat?
70. What is too much for one, enough for two, but nothing at all for three?
71. How is seasickness like an auction?
72.What is the difference between the teacher and a cashier?
73. What do men want the least on their hands?
74. If you were pushed down a flight of stairs, what would you fall against?
75. Born at the same time as the world, destined to live as long as the world, and yet never five weeks old.  What is it?
76. This you should always keep - no one else wants it.
77. When is it easiest to see through a man?
78. What is the end to which we all like to come?
79. It wasn't my sister, nor my brother, but still was the child of my father and mother.  Who was it?
80. What is everyone in the world doing at the same time?
81. What can be measured, but has no length, width or height?
82. Why is the world like a faulty jig saw puzzle?
83. What do you break by saying just one word?
84. What flies when it's on and floats when it's off?
85. What has a big mouth, yet never speaks?
86. What question can you never answer "yes" to?
87. How can you tell the difference between two trees?
88. What can't you see that is always before you?
89. What can you hold without ever touching or using your hands?
90. What is neither inside the house, outside the house, but no house is complete without it?

These are extremely easy - You should be able to solve half of them just by reading them to yourself. Also, don't hesitate to answer to these riddles - I'll just keep posting more.

#49 2006-10-01 02:43:48

Devantè
Real Member

Am I making these too easy? Because I can make them a whole lot harder.

#50 2006-10-01 02:50:54

Devantè
Real Member

91. The thieves spent 6 hours in the home of Ted Duda. At first they searched the house, trying to find where he hid his huge diamond, valued at half a million dollars.
Then they tried beating the information out of him. They fled at dawn, fearing detection.
Fatally hurt, Duda crawled to his desk and typed a note to his partner, John Madden. In a desperate race to type it before he bled to death, he near blindly typed his death note.

It read:

John -- four men tried to make me tell where I had hidden the diamond. At first they looked through the house, raving like madmen. Then, in desperation, the barbarians split open the cat! When all failed, they beat me, but I did not tell. I'm dying. The diamond The diamond is hidden in the vane."

"Duda died this morning," Inspector Winters told Dr. Haledjian. "We have his murderers, but not the diamond."
The inspector handed Haledjian a copy of the death note. "We took down the vane, the weathervane, a math, but there was nothing inside it," the inspector said, "We're still searching the house."
Haledjian read the note and said, "You also failed to find the body of the cat, but you did find a broken barrel of liquor."
"Why, yes," said the inspector. "The thieves were throrough. They broke the barrel and every bottle in Duda's little wine cellar."
"How many walking sticks did Duda own?"
The inspector looked puzzled. "One."
"It must be hollow," said Haledjian. "You'll find the diamond inside it."

The inspector found the diamond, but how did Haledjian know?

92. The 6 foot 4, 240-pound body of Earl Moon lay on the tile veranda amid a welter of shattered glass. Dr. Haledjian studied the left side of Moon's jaw, which was bruised outside and bloody inside from a cut caused by two broken teeth. The bruise on the back of the head showed where Moon was struck tiles. The back of the dead man's sports jacket was stitched with glass splinter.
"Apparently somebody punched Moon awfully hard on the side of the jaw," mused Haledjian, "Moon was thrown backward and he crashed through the sliding glass door. Falling, he struck his head on the veranda tiles and died of a broken neck."
"That confirms the account, we have from Buster Epps, a neighbor," said Inspector Winters.
Epps moved from behind the inspector and stared in disbelief at the body. He still seemed in a state of shock.
"I was tending my roses about half an hour ago when I noticed Moon and a stranger standing near this glass door. The stranger was not quite as tall as Moon, but just as broad. And he handled himself like a professional boxer. They seemed to be quarreling, but the door was shut and I couldn't overhear distinctly," continued Epps. "Suddenly, Moon swung his fist. The stranger sidestepped expertly and hooked a left to Moon's jaw. Moon went crashing through the glass. He struck his head -- I could hear the crack! The stranger fled immediately. I called the police when I couldn't overtake him."
"Now now, Mr. Epps," said Haledjian, "Suppose you tell us what really happened."

Why didn't Haledjian believe Epps?

Do 91 before you do this one.

93. A man lives on the 50th floor. When returning home, this man takes the elevator to the 20th floor and walk the rest of the way up by stairs. Other nights, he would take the elevator straight up to the 50th floor.
Why does he do this?

94. Dr. Evelyn Williams, a London-born New York dentist, was preparing to take a wax impression of the right lower teeth of his patient, Dorothy Hoover. Silently, the door behind him opened. A gloved hand holding an automatic appeared.
Two shots sounded. Miss Hoover slumped over, dead.

--
"We've got a suspect," Inspector Winters told Dr. Haledjian at his office an hour afterward. "The elevator boy took a nervous man to the fifteenth floor -- Dr. Williams has one of six offices on that floor -- a few moments before the shooting. The description fits John 'Torpedo' Burton.
"Burton is out on parole," continued the inspector, "I had him picked up at his rooming house. As far as he knows, I want to question him about a minor parole infraction."
Burton was ushered in and angrily demanded, "What's this all about?"
"Ever hear of Dr. Evelyn Williams?" said the inspector.
"No! Why?"
"Dorothy Hoover was shot to death less than two hours ago as she sat in the chair in Dr. William's office."
"I've been sleeping all afternoon."
"An elevator operator says he took a man answering your description to the fifteenth floor a moment before the shots."
"It wasn't me," snarled Burton indignantly, "I look like a lot of guys. I ain't been near a dentist's office since Sing Sing. This Williams, I bet he never saw me, so what can you prove?"
"Enough," snapped Dr. Haledjian, "to send you to the chair!"

What was the basis of Haledjian's remark?

95. I have four wings, but I cannot fly, I never laugh and never cry; On the same spot I'm always found, toiling away with little sound. What am I?

Board footer