Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1901 2017-01-09 01:59:02

mandy jane

Re: Mandy Jane's Corner

hi Steve B  I will look at what you sent me and get back to you ok?

#1902 2017-01-09 02:11:38

Bob
Administrator

hi Mandy and others following this thread.

So we can keep better track of the questions set,  I have changed the numbering of Steve's question as follows:

G1 means it is from the G1 section of the specification.  G1A means it is the first question set by anybody on this topic.  AS it has 4 parts I have called them G1A1, G1A2, G1A3 and G1A4.  Hope that is not too complicated.

Now for some from me:

G1B.  Draw a line exactly 6 cm long.  Label one end point P and the other Q (PQ = 6 cm).  Use a protractor to make an angle of 90 degrees at Q and mark a point R so that QR = 8 cm and angle PQR = 90.

Join P to R to make a triangle PQR with vertices P, Q, and R.

Measure the length of PR.  Measure the size of angle RPQ.  Post back your answers.

G1C.  Draw a circle, centre C, with radius 5 cm.  Mark any point on the circumference and label it L.  Keep the compass set at 5cm; put the point of the compass at L and draw two arcs**, to cut the circumference at M and N.  Check that LM = 5 cm and LN = 5cm.  Now move the compass point to M and draw an arc, cutting the circumference at J.  Check that MJ = 5 cm.  Now move the point of the compass to J and make an arc that cuts the circumference at K.  With the compass point at K make an arc that cuts the circumference at G.  You should now have six points around the circle, L, M, J, K, G, N.  They should be equal distances apart.  (Check this.) Join them to make a polygon LMJKGN.  What is the name of this polygon?   Measure angle CLM.  Now angle JCK.  How long is the line JN?  How long is the line JG?  What is the special name  for triangle CGN.  Please post all your answers.

Bob

** The word arc isn't on the list but you'll need it anyway.  It means a curved line that is just part of a circle.  Circumference is the name a curved line that goes round in a circle.  You could also call it the edge of the circle or even its perimeter.

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#1903 2017-01-09 02:37:04

SteveB

Okay Mandy. I will visit the site later today. It looks like you have got some homework to do.

#1904 2017-01-09 04:35:13

mandy jane

hi Bob Bundy mandy here I am not sure this is the right maths course is there there any othere maths course I could do or not as I like to see the quention on papper in frount of me first then answers thenm or is this the best gcse maths course to do ? csan you get back to me or anyone els to let me know please?

#1905 2017-01-09 04:48:45

SteveB

This isn't an official maths course. We were both coming up with exercises/questions for you to try that were based upon
a syllabus of an exam board. You will probably find that, apart from minor variations, that it is standard practice for the
topics and sub topics specified to be like that in any GCSE maths exam board syllabus in the UK.
There is a way that you could transfer the questions that we ask on to paper if you have a printer that is compatible
with your laptop computer. You could copy and paste them into Microsoft Word, perhaps increase the font size by
selecting the text and adjusting it, and use the print facility with the software. However if you don't have a printer then
this will not be possible.

#1906 2017-01-09 04:53:28

mandy jane

mandy here ok but I am will to pay so I have a gcse in maths ok so what would you sujest me to do then ? send message back please ?

#1907 2017-01-09 05:18:45

Bob
Administrator

hi Mandy Jane,

Steve and I have been making up questions ourselves, based on what we know of GCSE foundation.  It sounds like you would prefer actual past exam papers.  I have every paper  June and November from 2004 to 2009 so I have plenty for you to try.  The specification has changed but it's not going to alter what sort of questions you are asked. 

So, would you like me to email you a paper to try?  You would need to print it and then you can write your answers straight on the paper.  There will be bits you can do and get correct and some that you try but get wrong.  There may also be bits that you don't know how to do.  But it will identify what you need to be taught.

I don't know of a good on-line course that you pay for.  They may exist but I'm not aware of any.  If you track one down, don't commit to any payments before posting to us what course you're interested in.  There are some that are a waste of money and I wouldn't like you throw away money on this.

Post back or email if you want a paper to try.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#1908 2017-01-09 20:34:18

mandy jane

hi Bob Bundy or anyone out there mandy here  i what to do a maths gcse course but i dot't know which one can someone help me out please ? send message back on here please ?

#1909 2017-01-10 02:14:04

Bob
Administrator

hi Mandy,

Do you mean a course of instruction that you pay for with an tutor and assignments etc?  I cannot recommend any because I have never used them.  I taught GCSE maths for many years and if I encountered a maths topic that I didn't know, I would get a book and teach myself.  Steve thinks you have tried ICS learn in the past.  If so, how did you find it?

I used google to search for courses.  My search term was "review of on-line maths learning courses UK".  That will give you a long list of possible courses.  Maybe there is one amongst them that will suit you.

I spoke to my school's exam officer.  She said the school does not add any extra charge on top of the exam board's charge for external candidates.  She thought it would be difficult to get extra consideration for special needs as you have no 'paperwork' from a teacher that shows your difficulties.

She also recommended having a look at EdExcel's Functional Skills course.  There are two levels of test and these can be taken on-line.  She said these are more suited to post 16 students.  Here is a link to the page :

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qu … kills.html

There is a pre-course assessment that might be useful to do.  I tried to do it myself but you have to have a teacher register a 'class' first.  I should be able to do that if you are interested.

Are you going to try the questions that SteveB and I have set or have we wasted our time?

Bob

#1910 2017-01-10 04:26:18

mandy jane

hi Bob Bundy yes I am going to have a go at the questions you and Steve B have done ok ? yes I did do ics gcse maths and also did open study collage but at the time didn't finsh ither of them ? I will look at both again and see which one I like ok so which one do you or Steven B think I should do then ? send message back on here or email me ok ? as soon as you can ?

#1911 2017-01-10 04:32:06

SteveB

Hi Mandy. What did you think of the functional skills idea ?

#1912 2017-01-10 20:42:46

Bob
Administrator

hi Mandy

Mandy wrote:

so which one do you or Steven B think I should do then ?

I wish I knew the answer to this.  but I don't  Have a look at each course and see what existing students are saying.  Decide what features you think are important (eg.  good tutor support) and view some sample materials.  When you think you're ready to sign up to a course, post here first so that the MIF community can look in detail at that course and give a view on whether it is worth it.

Bob

#1913 2017-01-10 22:41:36

mandy jane

hi Bob Bundy / Steve B and anyone elss I have look at the  functional skills is looks good I think I might try it ok and yes I will look at both the course and get back to you ok? can somone send me a message please ?

#1914 2017-01-10 23:04:19

mandy jane

hi Steve B mandy here how do I sign up for the functional skills course then please as I am not sure can you get back to me as soon as you can so I can start doing it please ?

#1915 2017-01-10 23:35:45

SteveB

Hi Mandy. Sorry about this, but I don't know how you sign up for a functional skills course.
We had better wait until Bob B. comes back onto the forum.
Bob has said that there needs to be a 'teacher' who has registered a 'class' first.

Last edited by SteveB (2017-01-11 05:09:35)

#1916 2017-01-11 05:39:44

mandy jane

hi Steve B mandy here basic maths skill leave 2 with open study collage on line or papper form or with ics you do on line maths like if you are in a class room with others so you have your own teacher and can chate together ok ? which do you think would be best for me then ? can you get back to me please ?

#1917 2017-01-11 21:24:25

Bob
Administrator

hi Mandy,

I have started the process of registering as a teacher for the functional skills test.  It will take a few days for this to complete.  I'll let you know when you can have a go at the test.

Bob

#1918 2017-01-11 22:37:36

mandy jane

hi to anyone out there which maths course should i do  so i can start it the open study solage or ics then pkease olease can someone get back and let me know ?

#1919 2017-01-12 01:50:15

SteveB

My advice is don't do either of those. Bob is trying to set you up with doing a functional skills course.

#1920 2017-01-12 02:19:39

mandy jane

hi Steve B is that right that the functional skill course is not like doing a gcse maths course or notif so I would like to get my gcse maths so it is recised ok so I will go and look at the two course again and more to fined one that ican do ok ? so can you help ?

#1921 2017-01-12 03:03:17

SteveB

The point that I was trying to make was that if you have already tried to do those courses and failed to complete
them then there is a danger that you will do the same again. Also since Bob may very well have started off the
process of trying to do the initial stages of setting himself up as a teacher and you as a student
(I am not sure what he has done though so far) you really must not book yourself on any other course.
If you do Bob will be angry about it because he will have to cancel what he has done and will have wasted time on it.

Last edited by SteveB (2017-01-12 03:04:46)

#1922 2017-01-12 03:12:56

mandy jane

hi Steven B mandy here ok I will wait to get message back from Bob Bundy ok hope it is soon ? so I know what I am doing ?in the mean time I will have a go at the quentions you both sent me ok ?

#1923 2017-01-12 03:50:06

SteveB

Okay good idea. Yes I hope it is soon because you two could do with exchanging some messages to make
sure that there has not been a misunderstanding. Bob has been rather busy with other things lately.

EDIT: To Mandy: I understand that Bob Bundy has stopped trying to set up a functional skills course for you.
He has had difficulty with it and also you have gone away from the forum so he has assumed that you have
lost interest. As for whether it is a good idea to do a GCSE maths course it is your life and you have to decide
what is best for you. If it were me I would not try to get a GCSE in maths in your situation because I would
probably think that it would not give me a good thing for the CV because employers seem to be increasingly
wanting to see work experience and extracurricular activities on an applicant's CV. Also you perhaps start
off with good intentions, but at a certain point you give up and lose interest which puts doubt over whether
you could continue for the necessary period of learning to get a GCSE in Maths. Finally you seem not to
have adequate understanding and learning ability in Maths to get a good grade. To be fair a lot of this is
down to dyslexia I should think which is just something you are born with and there is no magic solution
to its' effects.

Last edited by SteveB (2017-02-11 05:26:08)

#1924 2017-02-26 00:56:53

mandy jane

hi Steve B Mandy here I have been waiting for maths course any news or not on this ? can you get back to me on here or email me please like today ? so I know what is going on ok ? I would be grateful if you could do this ?

#1925 2017-02-26 03:22:33

SteveB

Hi Mandy. Not sure exactly, but as I have written above, he did not set you up with a maths course.
I am not sure how the functional skills thing works and I think that someone had not got back to
Bob Bundy about something and that he decided not to proceed any more.
I think we had better wait until Bob Bundy is back on the forum.

Board footer