Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-10 00:34:11

Hannibal lecter

about something called "discrete mathematics"

Hi,
I'm asking about discrete mathematics, we take this course in our studies but I didn't saw it in math is fun.com

it is about if p then q and if and only if.... and it is about True or False,...etc

can anyone tell me where can I find an introduction about discrete mathematics in math is fun?

Wisdom is a tree which grows in the heart and fruits on the tongue

#2 2016-12-10 02:49:31

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Re: about something called "discrete mathematics"

How about you play some Games instead? I guess a lot of these games are discrete rather than continuous

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#3 2016-12-10 02:57:15

bobbym
bumpkin

Hmmm, okay, you got me. Why should he do that? I know you have a reason.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#4 2016-12-10 09:43:39

Hannibal lecter

Hi, I didn't understand what you said, can you explain your words please, I'll try to play these games later but I need to study discrete mathematics like (if and only if)

I did it in university with our techer but I need to study it from math is fun.com

#bobbym

he told us there is a relationship between discrete mathematics and computer science,

so can you help me find any website or link in math is fun.com

1481406361821.jpg

Last edited by Hannibal lecter (2016-12-10 09:46:31)

Wisdom is a tree which grows in the heart and fruits on the tongue

#5 2016-12-10 12:20:56

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

I was asking Agnishom why he answered the way he did. I did not find anything under the heading of Discrete Mathematics at Mathisfun. Have you googled for something else?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#6 2016-12-10 20:34:52

Bob
Administrator

hi Hannibal lecter

I think this is one area of maths that is not covered by Maths Is Fun.  It is also known as mathematical logic, propositional logic or even propositional calculus so you might find something under an alternative name.  It is the gateway to computer science because logic deals in TRUE and FALSE and computers work with binary arithmetic, 0s and 1s.  In logic we have operations like  AND, OR and NOT.  From these you can make up new operations like NAND (= NOT AND) and computer circuits are constructed out of components that behave like NAND.  For example, you can build a circuit based on NANDs that adds two binary numbers together.

It is a long time since I last did this, but I might be able to remember and I'm sure it will be good for me, so post if you have difficulties with the subject, and I'll do my best.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer