Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-01 05:03:40

All_Is_Number

Glossary of Mathematical Terms and Symbols

How about a glossary that explains mathematical terms and symbols so we can follow discussions that may involve Maths topics that we may not have had yet. I've found that just because I haven't taken a class in a topic does not mean it is beyond my comprehension. Yet, if I don't understand the terminology used in a particular thread, it is nearly impossible to follow.

What do others think about this?

You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once.

#2 2006-08-01 08:05:47

Patrick
Real Member

Re: Glossary of Mathematical Terms and Symbols

Might I add something to your suggestion? In my opinion it would be very useful to also translate the expressions into different languages. It's not rare that I can't understand something because there's a word I don't understand(at this point I'll ofc go use a dictionary, but if there was one on the site, it would be much easier). I'm not talking about normal english words, I mean 'math words' smile addition, subtraction, exponent, root, infinite - and the list goes on smile

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#3 2006-08-01 11:17:13

Zhylliolom
Real Member

Perhaps a mathematical encyclopedia? Members could submit entries. I'd be interested in helping.

What language(s) would you be interested in having, Patrick?

#4 2006-08-01 11:36:26

MathsIsFun
Administrator

A really good idea - but how?

I experimented with a Wiki some time back, but it didn't work out all that well. A few members got involved but not enough. And a Wiki has the problem that it is too 'live'. I prefer to check things before publishing. I also found the Wiki software to run fairly slowly.

Oddly enough the forum seems to work well - if someone posts something that is wrong it seems to get picked up fairly quickly. But it is hard to format a page really nicely like you can with an html editor.

... ?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2006-08-02 02:23:10

Patrick
Real Member

Zhylliolom - Whatever language the members wanted.. Even tho' there aren't many danish people visiting, I'd be happy to do that part. The format of which this should be published - I have no idea. I was going to suggest a wiki, but that doesnt seem like a good idea according to mif?

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

Board footer