Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-26 04:55:28

Planetaryhalo

Help with snakey word problem

Hi all,
I am in primary school in the UK and am having trouble with this word problem. I have narrowed down square, but cant get the exact answer.

The problem is that two children were playing snakes and ladders: Erica and william

They throw twice and end up on the same square, which takes them up to square 53. They then each throw twice and end up on the same square, which is the head of a snake and they go down to square 4.

Each throw that Erica took was a different number and she didn't throw the same number twice, the same applies to William. The total for the first two throws was 4 more than for the second two throws.

The questions are
What was the number of the square at the foot of the ladder and what was the number of the square at the snake's head?

My head hurts from looking at this. Can anyone help me to get this finished?
Thank you in advance ?

#2 2016-09-26 06:21:42

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Help with snakey word problem

Hi;

Which one is the foot of the ladder? Nothing is mentioned about it until the end question.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2016-09-26 06:54:27

Planetaryhalo

Sorry, after the first two throws they land on a square which takes them up a ladder to square 53.?

#4 2016-09-26 08:03:45

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Since I never played snakes and ladders, we had a different variant of it back when I was a kid, can you phrase your question a bit more mathematically? What do you want to know about those dice throws?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#5 2016-09-26 09:34:35

Planetaryhalo

Hi i can write the question from the paper. I don't know how to write it more mathematically. It is much more difficult than what we usually do in class, so I don't know to start.
I have to go to bed now, but i can write in the morning.
Thank you

#6 2016-09-26 10:17:51

Planetaryhalo

Hello,
I am pasting the question in on behalf of my son, he has gone to bed.
I hope this makes sense

"Erica and William enjoy playing the game Snakes and Ladders.
In one game they noticed that after they had both thrown twice they were both at the foot of the same ladder which took them to square 53.
After two more throws each, they both arrived at the head of a snake and moved down to square 4.
Each time, they threw completely different numbers. The total of the first two throws was 4 more than the total of the second two throws. Also, in the four throws, Erica did not roll the same number more than once and neither did William.
Which numbered square was at the foot of the ladder and which square was at the top of the snake? "

Thank you for your help

Board footer