Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-26 01:08:14

KD Bisset

Quantifying Exponential Population Growth of Ravens

Hi all,

Having had a reply from Rod Pierce regarding my question he advises that some of you may be able to help. My question is; How to put a figure on exponential population growth of Ravens, This is for a wildlife presentation next week any assistance you could offer in getting to the bottom of the answer and letting me know how to work it out would be greatly appreciated.

Based on average figures, A wild Raven has a life expectancy of 16 years, coming of age at 3 years old this leaves 13 breeding years.
Ravens fledge on average 7 chicks annually.
Of these 7, due to juvenile bird mortality rates 3 come of age at 3 years old and go on to produce their own off spring for their breeding life.

My question is three parted,

On the expiration of the original pair of raven in year 16, How many ravens total potentially have reproduced from the original bloodline?
With the mortality rate of 3:7 How many birds go on to come of age during this period.
During year 16 what is the ratio of Mature and juvenile birds.

Anything anyone could do to help would  be sincerely appreciated.

Bottle of fine malt for the best answer!

Thanks and kind regards
Kenneth

#2 2016-09-26 06:26:18

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Quantifying Exponential Population Growth of Ravens

Of these 7, due to juvenile bird mortality rates 3 come of age at 3 years old and go on to produce their own off spring for their breeding life.

Is that mortality rate yearly?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer