Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-23 07:54:30

Devantè
Real Member

Devanté's Riddle House

1. Cathy has six pairs of black gloves and six pairs of brown gloves in her drawer. In complete darkness, how many gloves must she take from the drawer in order to be sure to get a pair that match?

2. Mom, Dad, and 2 kids have come to a river, and they find a boat. It is small and can only carry one adult or 2 kids at a time. Both kids are good rowers, but how can the whole family reach the other side of the river?

3. Why can't you take a picture of a woman with hair curlers?

4. What is the largest possible number you can write using only 2 digits - just 2 digits, nothing else?

5. Before Mt. Everest was discovered, what was the tallest mountain in the world?

6. Because cigars cannot be entirely smoked, a person who collects cigar butts can make a cigar to smoke out of every 5 butts that he finds. Today, he has collected 25 cigar butts. How many cigars will he be able to smoke?

7. Jenn is facetious. She is also abstemious. She gets pneumonia. Given those clues, what is the only American tree she will like?

8. How many birth days does the average man have?

9. Someone at a party introduces you to your mother's only sister's husband's sister in law. He has no brothers. What do you call this lady?

10. Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

11. Two planes take off at the same exact moment. They are flying across the Atlantic. One leaves New York and is flying to Paris at 500 miles per hour. The other leaves Paris and is flying to New York at only 450 miles per hour ( because of a strong head wind ). Which one will be closer to Paris when they meet?

12. A carpenter was in a terrible hurry. He had to work as quickly as possible to cut a very heavy 10 foot plank into 10 equal sections. If it takes 1 minute per cut, how long will it take him to get the 10 equal pieces?

13. Why are 1898 silver dollars worth more than 1897 silver dollars?

14. What English word can have 4 of its 5 letters removed and still retain it's original pronunciation?

15. Johnny's mother had three children. The first child was named April. The second child was named May. What was the third child's name?

16. In your sock drawer, you have a ratio of 5 pairs of blue socks, 4 pairs of brown socks, and 6 pairs of black socks. In complete darkness, how many socks would you need to pull out to get a matching pair of the same color?

17. How can a woman living in New Jersey, legally marry 3 men, without ever getting a divorce, be widowed, or becoming legally separated?

18. A woman goes into a hardware store to buy something for her house. When asked the price, the clerk replies, "the price of one is twelve cents, the price of forty-four is twenty-four cents, and the price a hundred and forty-four is thirty-six cents. What does the woman want to buy?

19. If there are 5 apples on the counter and you take away 2, how many do you have?

20. If, having only one match, on a freezing winter  day, you entered a room which contained a lamp, a kerosene heater, and a wood burning stove, which should you light first.

#2 2006-07-23 08:22:25

Zach

Re: Devanté's Riddle House

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#3 2006-07-23 08:30:44

Devantè
Real Member

#4 2006-07-23 08:34:15

Zach

#5 2006-07-23 08:34:43

Devantè
Real Member

Some more riddles to keep everyone busy. These are based on math:

21. Take the number of your fingers multiplied by the number of you toes divided by one half and add it to the number of months in a year. What is the total?

22. A mother and father have six sons and each son has one sister. How many people are in that family?

23. Jenn has half the Beanie Babies that Mollie has. Allison has 3 times as many as Jenn. Together they have 72. How many Beanie Babies does each girl have?

24. Kevin is 14 inches taller than George. The difference between Kevin and Richard is two inches less than between Richard and George. Kevin at 6'6" is the tallest. How tall are Richard and George ?

25. A baseball team had just won the championship game and the players wanted to congratulate each other. They began shaking hands, but each player only shook hands with every other player just once. There are, of course, only 9 players on a baseball team. How many times did the players shake hands?

26. A jar has 4 amoebas in it to start. Amoebas split their cells in two ( therefore doubling in size) once every minute. The jar will be completely filled in 10 minutes. How long would it take to fill the same sized jar if had 8 amoebas in it to start?

27. There are 100 golfers in the local match play contest. If a player loses a match, he is immediately eliminated from the contest. How many matches will be played to determine the winner?

28. Two trains are on a head on collision course. The trains are currently 65 miles apart. The north bound train is traveling at 55 miles per hour and the south bound train is traveling at 80 miles per hour. What is the distance between the trains two minutes before they collide?

29. A car travels at a speed of 30 mph over a certain distance, and then returns over the same distance at a speed of 20 mph. What is the average speed for the total trip?

30. A woman has 100 yards of cloth on a single roll, and she wants to divide it into 100 lengths of 1 yard each. It takes her 3 seconds to cut each length. Working non-stop, how long will it take her to cut all 100 pieces?

31. Find a simple method of solving:
6751X + 3249Y = 26751
3249X + 6751Y = 23249

32. Two friends decide to get together; so they start riding bikes towards each other. They plan to meet halfway. Each is riding at 6 MPH. They live 36 miles apart. One of them has a pet carrier pigeon and it starts flying the instant the friends start traveling. The pigeon flies back and forth at 18 MPH between the 2 friends until the friends meet. How far does the pigeon travel?

33. Nick and John were exercising when the subject of weight came up. Nick had no problem telling John his weight, but John said he had more "mass" than he wanted. He wouldn't come right out and reveal his weight; so he told Nick this riddle. " I weigh 147 pounds plus half of my weight," he said. How much does he weigh?

34. A farmer knows that 20 of his hens, housed in 3 coops, will hatch 30 eggs in 18 days. How long will it take 30 hens, housed in 4 coops to hatch the same number of eggs?

35. How can you measure 1 gallon of juice out of a barrel, if all you have available is a 3-gallon and a 5-gallon pitcher?

36. Students at Monty High with a class size under of 30 took a math test. One third of the class got a "B", one quarter a "B-", one sixth a "C", and one eighth failed. The remainder of the students got an "A" How many students got an "A"?

37. When manufacturing bars of soap, the cutting machine produces scraps. The scraps from 11 bars of soap can be made into one extra bar. What is the total number of bars that can be made after cutting 250 bars of soap?

38. Kerry loves dumplings. He can eat 32 of them in an hour. His brother Pete needs 3 hours to eat the same amount. How long will it take them both together to eat 32 dumplings?

39. Joe bought a bag of oranges on Monday, and ate a third of them. On Tuesday he ate half of the remaining oranges. On Wednesday he looked in the bag to find he only had two oranges left. How many oranges were originally in the bag?

40. Joan and Jane are sisters. Jean is Joan's daughter and 12 years younger than her aunt. Joan is twice as old as Jean. Four years ago, Joan was the same age as Jane is now, and Jane was twice as old as her niece. How old is Jean?

Last edited by Devanté (2006-07-23 08:41:27)

#6 2006-07-23 08:36:38

Devantè
Real Member

#7 2006-07-23 08:38:14

Zach

#8 2006-07-23 08:45:12

Devantè
Real Member

#9 2006-07-23 13:15:19

All_Is_Number

Devanté wrote:

1. Cathy has six pairs of black gloves and six pairs of brown gloves in her drawer. In complete darkness, how many gloves must she take from the drawer in order to be sure to get a pair that match?

Devanté wrote:

2. Mom, Dad, and 2 kids have come to a river, and they find a boat. It is small and can only carry one adult or 2 kids at a time. Both kids are good rowers, but how can the whole family reach the other side of the river?

Devanté wrote:

3. Why can't you take a picture of a woman with hair curlers?

Devanté wrote:

4. What is the largest possible number you can write using only 2 digits - just 2 digits, nothing else?

Devanté wrote:

6. Because cigars cannot be entirely smoked, a person who collects cigar butts can make a cigar to smoke out of every 5 butts that he finds. Today, he has collected 25 cigar butts. How many cigars will he be able to smoke?

Devanté wrote:

9. Someone at a party introduces you to your mother's only sister's husband's sister in law. He has no brothers. What do you call this lady?

Devanté wrote:

12. A carpenter was in a terrible hurry. He had to work as quickly as possible to cut a very heavy 10 foot plank into 10 equal sections. If it takes 1 minute per cut, how long will it take him to get the 10 equal pieces?

Devanté wrote:

13. Why are 1898 silver dollars worth more than 1897 silver dollars?

Devanté wrote:

16. In your sock drawer, you have a ratio of 5 pairs of blue socks, 4 pairs of brown socks, and 6 pairs of black socks. In complete darkness, how many socks would you need to pull out to get a matching pair of the same color?

Devanté wrote:

17. How can a woman living in New Jersey, legally marry 3 men, without ever getting a divorce, be widowed, or becoming legally separated?

You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once.

#10 2006-07-23 14:19:40

All_Is_Number

Devanté wrote:

21. Take the number of your fingers multiplied by the number of you toes divided by one half and add it to the number of months in a year. What is the total?

Devanté wrote:

22. A mother and father have six sons and each son has one sister. How many people are in that family?

Devanté wrote:

23. Jenn has half the Beanie Babies that Mollie has. Allison has 3 times as many as Jenn. Together they have 72. How many Beanie Babies does each girl have?

Devanté wrote:

24. Kevin is 14 inches taller than George. The difference between Kevin and Richard is two inches less than between Richard and George. Kevin at 6'6" is the tallest. How tall are Richard and George ?

Devanté wrote:

25. A baseball team had just won the championship game and the players wanted to congratulate each other. They began shaking hands, but each player only shook hands with every other player just once. There are, of course, only 9 players on a baseball team. How many times did the players shake hands?

Devanté wrote:

26. A jar has 4 amoebas in it to start. Amoebas split their cells in two ( therefore doubling in size) once every minute. The jar will be completely filled in 10 minutes. How long would it take to fill the same sized jar if had 8 amoebas in it to start?

Devanté wrote:

27. There are 100 golfers in the local match play contest. If a player loses a match, he is immediately eliminated from the contest. How many matches will be played to determine the winner?

Devanté wrote:

28. Two trains are on a head on collision course. The trains are currently 65 miles apart. The north bound train is traveling at 55 miles per hour and the south bound train is traveling at 80 miles per hour. What is the distance between the trains two minutes before they collide?

Devanté wrote:

29. A car travels at a speed of 30 mph over a certain distance, and then returns over the same distance at a speed of 20 mph. What is the average speed for the total trip?

Devanté wrote:

30. A woman has 100 yards of cloth on a single roll, and she wants to divide it into 100 lengths of 1 yard each. It takes her 3 seconds to cut each length. Working non-stop, how long will it take her to cut all 100 pieces?

Devanté wrote:

31. Find a simple method of solving:
6751X + 3249Y = 26751
3249X + 6751Y = 23249

Devanté wrote:

32. Two friends decide to get together; so they start riding bikes towards each other. They plan to meet halfway. Each is riding at 6 MPH. They live 36 miles apart. One of them has a pet carrier pigeon and it starts flying the instant the friends start traveling. The pigeon flies back and forth at 18 MPH between the 2 friends until the friends meet. How far does the pigeon travel?

Devanté wrote:

33. Nick and John were exercising when the subject of weight came up. Nick had no problem telling John his weight, but John said he had more "mass" than he wanted. He wouldn't come right out and reveal his weight; so he told Nick this riddle. " I weigh 147 pounds plus half of my weight," he said. How much does he weigh?

Devanté wrote:

34. A farmer knows that 20 of his hens, housed in 3 coops, will hatch 30 eggs in 18 days. How long will it take 30 hens, housed in 4 coops to hatch the same number of eggs?

Devanté wrote:

35. How can you measure 1 gallon of juice out of a barrel, if all you have available is a 3-gallon and a 5-gallon pitcher?

Devanté wrote:

36. Students at Monty High with a class size under of 30 took a math test. One third of the class got a "B", one quarter a "B-", one sixth a "C", and one eighth failed. The remainder of the students got an "A" How many students got an "A"?

Devanté wrote:

37. When manufacturing bars of soap, the cutting machine produces scraps. The scraps from 11 bars of soap can be made into one extra bar. What is the total number of bars that can be made after cutting 250 bars of soap?

Devanté wrote:

38. Kerry loves dumplings. He can eat 32 of them in an hour. His brother Pete needs 3 hours to eat the same amount. How long will it take them both together to eat 32 dumplings?

Devanté wrote:

39. Joe bought a bag of oranges on Monday, and ate a third of them. On Tuesday he ate half of the remaining oranges. On Wednesday he looked in the bag to find he only had two oranges left. How many oranges were originally in the bag?

Devanté wrote:

40. Joan and Jane are sisters. Jean is Joan's daughter and 12 years younger than her aunt. Joan is twice as old as Jean. Four years ago, Joan was the same age as Jane is now, and Jane was twice as old as her niece. How old is Jean?

big_smile:D:D

Last edited by All_Is_Number (2006-07-23 14:31:48)

#11 2006-07-23 19:31:27

Devantè
Real Member

3 incorrect on the maths one, All correct for the logic one. Well done! smile

For the logic: Questions 7, 14 and 18 remain unsolved.
For the mathematics: Questions 21, 36 and 37 remain unsolved.

I'll post some more soon. smile

Last edited by Devanté (2006-07-23 19:35:19)

#12 2006-07-23 20:52:16

Kurre

Last edited by Kurre (2006-07-23 20:58:32)

#13 2006-07-23 21:44:06

Devantè
Real Member

For the logic: 7, 14 and 18 remain unsolved.
For the mathematics: Only 21 remains unsolved.

#14 2006-07-24 02:44:11

All_Is_Number

Devanté wrote:

3 incorrect on the maths one, All correct for the logic one. Well done! smile

For the logic: Questions 7, 14 and 18 remain unsolved.
For the mathematics: Questions 21, 36 and 37 remain unsolved.

I'll post some more soon. smile

21 and 36 are incorrect (We should always check our work), but after rereading problem 37, I have to stand by my previous answer.

Last edited by All_Is_Number (2006-07-24 03:01:42)

#15 2006-07-24 03:09:45

All_Is_Number

7. Jenn is facetious. She is also abstemious. She gets pneumonia. Given those clues, what is the only American tree she will like?

#16 2006-07-24 03:22:32

Devantè
Real Member

A couple still remain...

Should I post more to keep this thread going?

#17 2006-07-24 03:25:32

All_Is_Number

Devanté wrote:

A couple still remain...

Should I post more to keep this thread going?

Of course. smile

#18 2006-07-24 03:53:55

Devantè
Real Member

#41 What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries?
#42 You throw away the outside and cook the inside. Then you eat the outside and throw away the inside. What did you eat?
#43 What goes up and down the stairs without moving?
#44 What can you catch but not throw?
#45 I can run but not walk. Wherever I go, thought follows close behind. What am I?
#46 What's black and white and red all over?
#47 What goes around the world but stays in a corner?
#48 I have holes in my top and bottom, my left and right, and in the middle. But I still hold water. What am I?
#49 Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I?
#50 The man who invented it doesn't want it. The man who bought it doesn't need it. The man who needs it doesn't know it. What is it?
#51 I run over fields and woods all day. Under the bed at night I sit not alone. My tongue hangs out, up and to the rear, awaiting to be filled in the morning. What am I?
#52 Throw it off the highest building, and I'll not break. But put me in the ocean, and I will. What am I?
#53 What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps?
#54 No sooner spoken than broken. What is it?
#55 A certain crime is punishable if attempted but not punishable if committed. What is it?
#56 You use a knife to slice my head and weep beside me when I am dead. What am I?
#57 I'm the part of the bird that's not in the sky. I can swim in the ocean and yet remain dry. What am I?
#58 I am mother and father, but never birth or nurse. I'm rarely still, but I never wander. What am I?
#59 I went into the woods and got it. I sat down to seek it. I brought it home with me because I couldn't find it. What is it?
#60 I am weightless, but you can see me. Put me in a bucket, and I'll make it lighter. What am I?

Last edited by Devanté (2006-07-24 04:25:00)

#19 2006-07-24 04:21:38

All_Is_Number

I know a bunch of these, but I'll wait to post any answers.
tongue:P:P

#20 2006-07-24 05:15:18

Devantè
Real Member

I guess I'll have to post more, then. tongue

I'll do them in 20s to avoid confusion. smile

#21 2006-07-24 10:25:35

Zach

I just read one say...

#22 2006-07-24 11:08:27

Ricky

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#23 2006-07-24 18:29:59

Devantè
Real Member

#24 2006-07-24 22:41:25

Zach

#25 2006-07-25 06:27:24

Devantè
Real Member

Board footer