Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-24 04:15:38

All_Is_Number

What is your favorite Math(s) related game?

My favorite math related game is pocket billiards (commonly called pool in the US). I've been playing the game for about 25 years. It seems everything about that game screams Math and Physics, even in equipment selection (and production).

In a typical game, I use Trigonometry and the Pythagorean theory several times each, and constantly draw upon what I know about rotational Physics. Math even helps me to understand the best place to grip my cue on any given shot.

I can't actually think of any aspect of the game that cannot be learned more easily with an understanding of Mathematics and Physics, with the possible exception of the concentration necessary to make many consecutive shots.

I believe that a billiard table is quite possibly the most perfect piece of Math and Physics lab equipment. It offers the opportunity to teach many, many concepts from basic counting to Differential Equations all while allowing students to feel like they are having fun instead of doing school work. One of my goals for the future is to make these lessons more accessible for both students, and non-playing teachers, as well as to help increase accessibility to pool tables in schools.

What Math(s) related games do you like?

You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once.

#2 2006-07-24 04:22:57

Devantè
Real Member

Re: What is your favorite Math(s) related game?

Sudoku. Especially Sudoku variants. Sometimes I time myself for fun when I get bored. I think Sudoku is quite theraputic in a sense (no, I'm not crazy tongue). You can solve one in seconds or hours...you can adjust the size - From 4x4 to 18x18. Is Sudoku math-related though?

If we're talking math-related though, I guess Addoku puzzles (a popular, traditional Sudoku puzzle variant).

#3 2006-07-24 04:38:06

All_Is_Number

Devanté wrote:

Sudoku. . . Is Sudoku math-related though?

If we're talking math-related though, I guess Addoku puzzles (a popular, traditional Sudoku puzzle variant).

I think Sudoku is math related. Math is logic in it's purest form, right?

I've never tried any variants of Sudoku.

#4 2006-07-24 05:13:38

Devantè
Real Member

Yeah, I guess you're right.

http://www.addoku.net/ - Basic guide to Addoku puzzles. When I get the time, I might make a few of my own for people to solve. smile

#5 2006-07-24 09:51:20

mikau

I really love pocket billiards but don't have room for even a miniature table in my house. :-(

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#6 2006-07-26 08:30:42

numen

I'm into Sudoku as well. Actually, that's the only one I can think of being math related. It's getting pretty big around here, it's in the newspaper and there are particular magazines full with puzzles only.

I have some huge integrated sudoku puzzles which I still need to solve, they take like more than a day to solve each tongue
I've never heard of Addoku though, I will most definitely check it out.

Bang postponed. Not big enough. Reboot.

#7 2006-07-26 09:34:59

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I wrote a Sudoku Game.

Needs more work, and the advanced puzzle engine is very slow (because it has to solve 100s of times before it creates a puzzle), but you do get lots of puzzles.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#8 2006-07-26 20:26:21

Devantè
Real Member

Yeah, MathsIsFun's Sudoku puzzles are quite good. Fun to solve! smile

#9 2006-07-27 00:26:31

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I think I need more options, like "Check for Mistakes"

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#10 2006-07-27 11:08:35

Zhylliolom
Real Member

Hmm... does the Integration Bee count as a game? It's like a spelling bee, but you integrate. You get a minute and 30 seconds to solve a given integral. It is one of the hottest things I have ever enountered. I've never actually had the chance to be in one, but how could it not be the most enjoyable event? Maybe I'll find one in college hosted by the math department. Until then, I'll practice my integration of obscure and challenging functions. You know, if that advanced board ever gets created, I might make something like an integration bee thread, I even have a list of integrals on this desk here which are perfect for the task. Maybe I could even post this on the Puzzles board. Ok, I'm too excited about all this, I'll stop typing.

#11 2006-07-27 12:30:01

All_Is_Number

I saw a post on another forum yesterday from a grad student who is planning on doing his dissertation on Graph Theory and billiards strategy. I found that pretty fascinating.

An integration bee sounds challenging, Zhylliolom. I don't do much integrating these days. If I don't have the integral memorized, I use my trusty calculator.

#12 2006-07-27 12:31:08

MathsIsFun
Administrator

You could make Integration Bee it into a timed game ... hard to enter the answer though ... possibly multiple choice?

#13 2006-07-27 15:20:24

Zhylliolom
Real Member

Or you could make them definite integrals so you'd just have to type in a number, and possibly "pi" or some other common constant.

#14 2016-11-23 16:45:57

Monox D. I-Fly

Trading Card Games. They are heavy math-related. In fact, the one who invented them was a math teacher (Google "Richard Garfield").

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

Board footer