Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-22 09:13:43

Devantè
Real Member

Brown Noise

Brown noise is an odd noise..but does it really do what it says it does?

Personally I've never tried it, but I've listened to it on the TV. The TV affects some of the sound though so broadcasting it won't have much effect. People have reported to have uneasy feelings in their stomachs, and wanting to go to the bathroom but they can't. I don't know if this is true, but there's always those who are brave enough to try it...

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note

Interesting article. Especially the bottom paragraph at the bottom of the page. Any thoughts on this?

#2 2006-07-22 09:26:14

Patrick
Real Member

Re: Brown Noise

Brown Note, not noise smile as the article says, Brown Noice(or Brownian Noice/Red Noice) is related to Brownian Motion smile

Anyway, the beginning of the says a lot smile

The brown note, according to an urban legend ...

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#3 2006-07-22 11:57:23

MathsIsFun
Administrator

The Wikipedia article is very interesting. How is it possible for several groups (Mythbusters, Brainiac et al) to test so badly for this effect?

Surely you could start off with a group and run the frequency up and down, use different speaker setups, etc, and they could write down their feeelings. About a days work and you would know the most effective (if any) setup to test further.

You could test the next group by asking them to note down their physical reactions to a slideshow, so they wouldn't know you were really testing sound.

With a bit more thought you could design a really good experiment.

But then, its more about entertainment than science.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2006-07-22 19:20:36

Devantè
Real Member

That's true - A lot of people are interested in the part that causes humans to lose controls of their bowels!

But anyway, I'd like to know where I can get access to the brown note via the internet. I would like to do some testing with *cough*humans*cough* on how they react to it, and how changing the volume etc. has an effect on it. However, I do believe that brown noise can be a little dangerous. People have reported to have not needed to go to the toilet, but they have reported to have a horrible uneasy feeling in their bowels/stomach, and they seem to have not been able to get rid of it for hours.

Just out of interest - Has anyone ever actually witnessed the brown note?

#5 2006-07-22 22:17:29

Patrick
Real Member

hehe, we all know what you mean, but you keep using "brown noice" instead of "brown note" :]

It shouldn't be a problem to make a program(afaic) that will tell your speakers to produce a given note. If your speakers are able to make that sound is a whole other story smile

#6 2006-07-22 22:45:03

Devantè
Real Member

Hehe, I guess I'm too used to saying 'brown noise' instead of 'brown note'. smile

But anyway, I'll try that, thanks. smile

I think it was 92 octaves below normal F#?

#7 2006-07-23 00:04:23

Devantè
Real Member

Some brown note here: http://www.skyone.co.uk/programmes/brainiac/images/BrownNoiseMP3.mp3

This is quite...odd, like I said before. Didn't do anything to my bowels - People have reported slight loss of breathing. I think I experienced that, but it wasn't serious. You can try it out, and listen to t he whole thing, but don't turn it up too loud. That sound is horrible and irritating...now I kinda half believe the rumours!

#8 2006-07-23 00:26:05

MathsIsFun
Administrator

On the subject of brown. Have you noticed that "junk food" is mostly brown?

Fried chicken, fries/chips, hamburgers, etc.

Try listing more and you will see most are brown!

If you tie this with the existing conversation you are sure to lose weight. faint

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#9 2006-07-23 01:04:43

Devantè
Real Member

Yeah, that's true. smile

Especially for the pizzas...frozen, that is mostly.

#10 2006-07-23 01:26:33

Patrick
Real Member

Devanté wrote:

Some brown note here: http://www.skyone.co.uk/programmes/brainiac/images/BrownNoiseMP3.mp3

This is quite...odd, like I said before. Didn't do anything to my bowels - People have reported slight loss of breathing. I think I experienced that, but it wasn't serious. You can try it out, and listen to t he whole thing, but don't turn it up too loud. That sound is horrible and irritating...now I kinda half believe the rumours!

This can't be a/the real Brown Note then. It should be 5-9 Hz and you cannot hear a note under 20Hz. If you're a human that is.

#11 2006-07-23 03:35:28

Devantè
Real Member

Sorry, didn't remember that. :\

It's a little hard to imagine what the brown note might sound like though, if we cannot hear it...

Board footer