Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#51 2016-03-20 05:31:29

Monox D. I-Fly
Member
Registered: 2015-12-02
Posts: 886

Re: Forum Dead?

A basilisk lizard is a reppie.

Offline

#52 2016-03-20 07:43:42

bobbym
bumpkin
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 109,606

Re: Forum Dead?

A reppie stands at least 7 ft tall. Has thick plated scales. Is sometimes green or brown.  Highly intelligent, somewhat telepathic, very fast, very strong, very aggressive, with sharp claws on hands and feet. Pupils are shaped as a lens, like a cats.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Offline

#53 2016-03-20 10:01:01

MathsIsFun
Administrator
Registered: 2005-01-21
Posts: 7,664

Re: Forum Dead?

With the rise of social media people spend a lot of time on Facebook, Twitter, Instragram, Snapchat. They are the online version of sports stadiums and shopping malls.

We are more like a Parisian Cafe. We have our regulars, who can often be seen dining here and discussing with their friends, and also people who just pop in for a coffee or pastry.


"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Offline

#54 2016-03-20 13:21:54

Monox D. I-Fly
Member
Registered: 2015-12-02
Posts: 886

Re: Forum Dead?

bobbym wrote:

A reppie stands at least 7 ft tall. Has thick plated scales. Is sometimes green or brown.  Highly intelligent, somewhat telepathic, very fast, very strong, very aggressive, with sharp claws on hands and feet. Pupils are shaped as a lens, like a cats.

A T-Rex, then?

Offline

#55 2016-03-20 19:04:32

bobbym
bumpkin
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 109,606

Re: Forum Dead?

That one is about 20 - 25 ft tall.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Offline

#56 2016-03-21 12:55:07

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 24,838
Website

Re: Forum Dead?

I have never been to a parsian cafe


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#57 2016-03-21 14:03:06

bobbym
bumpkin
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 109,606

Re: Forum Dead?

Me neither, but he is right.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Offline

#58 2016-05-25 01:14:01

RussL
Member
Registered: 2016-05-24
Posts: 19

Re: Forum Dead?

Here ya go, I'm new here, so we're up to date.  I only wish my pages showed the most recent replies at the top of the list instead of the bottom or on the last page.  And that threads replied to be bumped to the top of thread listings.  That doable?

Offline

#59 2016-05-25 02:19:10

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 24,838
Website

Re: Forum Dead?

I don't get what you mean


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#60 2016-05-25 06:39:41

bobbym
bumpkin
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 109,606

Re: Forum Dead?

That is what I prefer too.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Offline

#61 2016-05-25 07:44:19

RussL
Member
Registered: 2016-05-24
Posts: 19

Re: Forum Dead?

Agnishom wrote:

I don't get what you mean

When I go to a category the older threads are often listed first.  When I click on a thread the older replies appear first.

Offline

#62 2016-05-25 08:16:52

zetafunc
Moderator
Registered: 2014-05-21
Posts: 2,123
Website

Re: Forum Dead?

RussL wrote:

When I go to a category the older threads are often listed first.  When I click on a thread the older replies appear first.

It's normal for replies in a thread to be chronological, but not normal to see threads listed in the way you describe. Does this mean you are seeing threads from several years ago listed on page 1?

Offline

#63 2016-05-25 13:10:42

RussL
Member
Registered: 2016-05-24
Posts: 19

Re: Forum Dead?

zetafunc wrote:
RussL wrote:

When I go to a category the older threads are often listed first.  When I click on a thread the older replies appear first.

It's normal for replies in a thread to be chronological, but not normal to see threads listed in the way you describe. Does this mean you are seeing threads from several years ago listed on page 1?

Yes.

Offline

#64 2016-05-29 13:54:07

Mathegocart
Member
Registered: 2012-04-29
Posts: 1,884

Re: Forum Dead?

Yes, but I feel that a more modern design would be more beneficial, such as https://www.invisionpower.com/clientarea/index.php?app=nexus&module=payments&section=store&do=add&id=16&k=123 this. IDK about current costs now.
EDIT: I believe PhpBB would be better in preserving the plainness of the forum but adding some more features.

Last edited by Mathegocart (2016-05-29 13:57:02)


The integral of hope is reality.

Offline

#65 2016-05-30 01:40:48

David
Member
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2014-04-23
Posts: 3,135

Re: Forum Dead?

mathgogocart wrote:

Yes, but I feel that a more modern design would be more beneficial, such as https://www.invisionpower.com/clientarea/index.php?app=nexus&module=payments&section=store&do=add&id=16&k=123 this. IDK about current costs now.
EDIT: I believe PhpBB would be better in preserving the plainness of the forum but adding some more features.

MIF is too busy. We need to send in a "petition".


Meaningless, meaningless, Everything is meaningless! - Ecclesiastes 1:2

Offline

#66 2016-05-30 02:05:34

Mathegocart
Member
Registered: 2012-04-29
Posts: 1,884

Re: Forum Dead?

David wrote:
mathgogocart wrote:

Yes, but I feel that a more modern design would be more beneficial, such as https://www.invisionpower.com/clientarea/index.php?app=nexus&module=payments&section=store&do=add&id=16&k=123 this. IDK about current costs now.
EDIT: I believe PhpBB would be better in preserving the plainness of the forum but adding some more features.

MIF is too busy. We need to send in a "petition".

also phpBB is free, so....
http://www.forum-software.org/forum-reviews

Last edited by Mathegocart (2016-05-30 02:08:08)


The integral of hope is reality.

Offline

#67 2016-05-30 02:07:17

David
Member
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2014-04-23
Posts: 3,135

Re: Forum Dead?

mathgogocart wrote:
David wrote:
mathgogocart wrote:

Yes, but I feel that a more modern design would be more beneficial, such as https://www.invisionpower.com/clientarea/index.php?app=nexus&module=payments&section=store&do=add&id=16&k=123 this. IDK about current costs now.
EDIT: I believe PhpBB would be better in preserving the plainness of the forum but adding some more features.

MIF is too busy. We need to send in a "petition".

also phpBB is free, so....

Write a "petition"... This is a very large forum... Moving it will use up a lot of time... Plus, consider the hosting and other fees...


Meaningless, meaningless, Everything is meaningless! - Ecclesiastes 1:2

Offline

#68 2016-05-30 02:09:43

Mathegocart
Member
Registered: 2012-04-29
Posts: 1,884

Re: Forum Dead?

David wrote:
mathgogocart wrote:
David wrote:

MIF is too busy. We need to send in a "petition".

also phpBB is free, so....

Write a "petition"... This is a very large forum... Moving it will use up a lot of time... Plus, consider the hosting and other fees...

Indeed. However so few members are active. Could we counteract it with ads at least a bit?


The integral of hope is reality.

Offline

#69 2016-05-30 02:14:37

David
Member
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2014-04-23
Posts: 3,135

Re: Forum Dead?

mathgogocart wrote:
David wrote:
mathgogocart wrote:

also phpBB is free, so....

Write a "petition"... This is a very large forum... Moving it will use up a lot of time... Plus, consider the hosting and other fees...

Indeed. However so few members are active. Could we counteract it with ads at least a bit?

There used to be ads on the old forum... I believe MIF doesn't even have time to think about adding in a n ads system on this forum! Yikes! There used to be more active members once upon a time... sad


Meaningless, meaningless, Everything is meaningless! - Ecclesiastes 1:2

Offline

#70 2016-05-30 05:57:14

bobbym
bumpkin
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 109,606

Re: Forum Dead?

Yes, it used to be more active in the past. But the worth of the forum is not measured in how much activity it has.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Offline

#71 2016-05-30 14:04:36

Monox D. I-Fly
Member
Registered: 2015-12-02
Posts: 886

Re: Forum Dead?

bobbym wrote:

But the worth of the forum is not measured in how much activity it has.

Right. My country has a forum which discuss anything but most of the posts are junk-posts.

Offline

#72 2016-05-30 14:22:35

bobbym
bumpkin
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 109,606

Re: Forum Dead?

I am sure every country has plenty of those.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Offline

#73 2016-05-30 15:17:34

David
Member
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2014-04-23
Posts: 3,135

Re: Forum Dead?

The worth is in the "heritage".


Meaningless, meaningless, Everything is meaningless! - Ecclesiastes 1:2

Offline

#74 2016-05-30 18:01:12

bobbym
bumpkin
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 109,606

Re: Forum Dead?

The heritage?


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Offline

#75 2016-05-30 18:05:56

David
Member
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2014-04-23
Posts: 3,135

Re: Forum Dead?


Meaningless, meaningless, Everything is meaningless! - Ecclesiastes 1:2

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB