Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-19 05:45:23

mikau

mathisfun.com ranking test

It would be cool to set up a test for the website to test the limits of your mathematical prowess, and upon completetion, you are awarded a name based on your score. Like "son of euclid" or "allstar mathlete" or "the wrath of pythagoras"  or  perhaps "ganesh"

And people who fall below a certain rank are automatically banned from the site! big_smile

It would be interesting to see how we all place.

Last edited by mikau (2006-07-19 05:55:31)

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#2 2006-07-19 09:53:37

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: mathisfun.com ranking test

That parallels an idea I had a while back. What if we had some super game where you could use your mathematical skills to gain power. The most skilled players would be like magicians, able to transform objects, teleport themselves, gain access to hidden treasures and more, because they could solve puzzles and see hidden relationships.

But, yes, why not?

We could set up an all-encompassing math test, not just relying on knowledge but imagination. And with questions from various fields we could be fair to people who love only one or two areas.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2006-07-19 10:03:35

mikau

Now THATs even more interesting. Like an MMORPG.

"Muahaha! Foolish mage! I shall differentiate thee!"

Like math problems could be used to cast spells, or something. Hm.. math fight? That gives me goose bumps!

I don't think this is precisly what you meant but its at least cool to think about.

For instance, a lock on a chest bears a problem: "∫ cos x dx"   you would first have to find the solution to the problem and then find the key bearing the answer!

Last edited by mikau (2006-07-19 10:06:51)

#4 2006-07-19 14:11:15

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Yes! And it could start with simple algebra. It would also be really cool if there were ways of moving around that needed some mastery of math, such as complex numbers. You could be a MathMage! A pity I don't know how to develop role-playing software.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2006-07-19 14:40:08

All_Is_Number

MathsIsFun wrote:

Yes! . . . A pity I don't know how to develop role-playing software.

Don't tell us that now that You've built it up!:D

You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once.

#6 2006-07-19 14:53:03

mikau

Hmm.. well I have an interest in game programming and in computer science, I intend to persue it, so maybe in another four years we can get started. :-/

In the meantime, no harm in fantasizing! Keep the idea's comin!

#7 2006-07-19 18:07:03

Ricky

A server side script with database (such as mysql) access would be what you need.  cgi and php suit both those.

Mikau, if you know c/c++/java, php is just like them.  A few differences, but otherwise, pretty much the same.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#8 2006-07-19 20:10:50

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Yeah, php is great.

In fact, programming languages seem to have converged a lot. Even Flash programming is similar because it uses a version of javascript.

And then you get the silly little differences which drive you nuts. For example to join strings in javascript is "+", but php it is "." I have often sat there looking at some code not able to understand why it has an error until I remember which language I am using!

But back to the point ... how could we make an "immersive" game? With graphics and a 3d world?

Sure we could communicate via php to a mysql database, but we would need to use flash or java for the graphical component.

(My appoach when something seems too huge to do, is to work out a "framework" that can be added to over time, so there is some initial satisfaction.)

#9 2006-07-20 01:37:22

Ricky

Can flash read/write to a database?  If you want a 3d world, my guess would either be flash or java applet too.  But does it need to be 3d?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#10 2006-07-20 06:42:14

mikau

OpenGL! OpenGL!

I have a book on openGL and a disk but it requires fluincy with C++ and windows progamming. I know just a moderate amount of C++ and nothing about windows programming. I'm hoping maybe a year or two of computer scinece will enable me to get started on that book.

If we're talking about an MMORPG, that kind of thing is hard to do in a non 3d world, unless you go with an isometric view or something.

Last edited by mikau (2006-07-20 06:46:54)

#11 2006-07-20 12:27:08

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Yes, Flash can read and write data in a clumsy fashion. I think it has to be clumsy to avoid it becoming malicious.

For example, Flash can read data sent to it like "myflash.swf?x=2&y=3". It will know that x=2 and y=3. There are other ways I am not very familiar with. I do know there is a Flash Chat application, however, so they must have solved some of that data in/out stuff.

#12 2006-07-21 06:50:44

Ricky

OpenGL! OpenGL!

I have a book on openGL and a disk but it requires fluincy with C++ and windows progamming. I know just a moderate amount of C++ and nothing about windows programming. I'm hoping maybe a year or two of computer scinece will enable me to get started on that book.

If we're talking about an MMORPG, that kind of thing is hard to do in a non 3d world, unless you go with an isometric view or something.

If you need help with windows programming, just let me know.  I'm not great with it, but I have a bit of experience.

If you want to get into openGL and leave all the windows programming out of it, get GLUT.

You can also configure Java applets to work with OpenGL.  Kind of worthless because applets are pretty slow.

Board footer