Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-02 11:00:25

Calligar

Phi Brain (Anime) Puzzle

During episode 2 of Phi Brain (an anime), they show a particularly puzzle which they don't give an answer to.  It seems like a relatively simple puzzle, I was just curious about other people's answers.  So in order to avoid any copyright issues, I made my own puzzle based on Phi Brain's puzzle.
6MbtlRA.png  Basically, find what A and B are equal to, or in other words...

A =
B =

*edit*  I fixed the mistake.

Last edited by Calligar (2016-01-02 13:19:33)

There are always other variables.  -[unknown]
But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle
Everything makes sense, one only needs to figure out how.  -[unknown]

#2 2016-02-12 16:22:21

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: Phi Brain (Anime) Puzzle

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#3 2016-02-24 14:52:43

Grantingriver

You did not include any information about the type of quantity you meant by saying "equal to" (it could be the area), but you gave clues to the answers in the figure: you have numbered the areas in the figure from 3-11 while the normal numbering should be from 1-11, and also you gave the letter "A" to one of the unnmbered area and gave the letter "B" to the other, so since "A" comes before "B" in the alphabetic order and the numbering sequence should start from 1, then the most plausible answers are "A=1" and "B=2" to complete the sequence.

Note: you have numbered two of the areas 9. I think it is a typo (one of them should be 10).

#4 2016-02-25 18:56:13

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hej;

All of the numbers given there are correct (which would, I guess, further mean that it is not and ordering of the areas).

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#5 2016-03-01 23:37:30

phrontister
Real Member

Hi;

I suppose that the answer could also be...

Alhough Calligar's puzzle differs from the film's, the following may still apply because of the "based on" connection:
Kaito says about his puzzle, "What is this? Kindergarten?" (English dubbed version)/"Can it get any simpler?" (English subtitles version), and so my second answer may well be the solution as it is the easiest of my three options. But then, most puzzles are child's play to him, and so maybe my most intricate answer – the first – wins.

EDIT: I think the second and third answers are unlikely solutions as both can be solved without using any numbers from the puzzle. The first answer uses them all, but can be shortened by omitting step 2 from the explanation as it only serves to identify an interesting relationship that doesn't seem to be a solution requirement.

Last edited by phrontister (2017-02-23 17:00:46)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#6 2016-03-26 07:15:27

Calligar

I apologize, I've been busy in school and as a result haven't gone on for quite a while.  I'm not entirely sure if any of you are asking a question for more information, telling me you think I did something wrong with the puzzle or maybe just having a discussion amongst yourselves.  I guess to clarify, on Episode 2 of Phi Brain (first season), they show this puzzle (I think around 5 min. in), which if I recall correctly, is the second puzzle.  The issue is I personally wanted to see if what I had was correct, yet they never showed the answer.  So I tried to replicate the same puzzle to see what answers others got as maybe my own answers are incorrect.  I mean, if they don't give an answer, who's really to say who is right or wrong, could be better decided by others.

Now it's possible that when trying to make my own puzzle based on theirs, I messed something up.  However, based on the patterns I saw in the set-up, I didn't see any issue.  One notable difference is in the original puzzle, there were 3 boxes left w/o answers (and 2 of them used letters which can be assumed you had to figure out what A and B were equal to unless I'm mistaken).  In mine, I only had 2 blank ones which was meant to be very identical to how they did it in their puzzle (which like the video, I put in 2 letters left to be figured out).  I can put down what I think the answers are, but I still wanted to see what others thought of it too (without influencing their answers).  I did not make up this puzzle, therefore, my own personal "answers" may not be correct.

*EDIT*  I fixed grammar mistakes and played around with what edit looks best.

Last edited by Calligar (2016-03-26 07:40:02)

But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle

#7 2016-03-28 11:42:15

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Calligar;

Last edited by phrontister (2016-04-11 12:22:30)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#8 2016-04-10 13:33:35

Calligar

Hmmm, I guess I should post my own answers (again, they aren't absolutely correct, only what I think).

Also, I apologize about not posting my own answers earlier, I forgot about the whole hiding answers, then I was searching the forum, because I couldn't figure out what the tag was.  Of course it would be the one thing I wasn't thinking...  [ hide ] and [ / hide ] (without the spaces).

In case anyone is interested in my answers for the actual phi brain puzzle in episode two (usually around 6:30 - 7:00 in the episode; you can find at http://www.crunchyroll.com/phi-brain/ep … ard-595519 where it is free and legal if you don't mind ads):

*EDIT* I added in my answers to the actual Phi Brain puzzle which I got made my puzzle from and added link where to find original puzzle.

Last edited by Calligar (2016-04-10 13:48:40)

#9 2016-04-10 15:29:44

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Calligar;

I can't access the movie from your link, because I get this error: "Sorry, this video is not available in your region due to licensing restrictions." My region is Australia.

There's an English dubbed version on YouTube here, and the puzzle appears at 5:38.

Btw, re the hide box (etc), you can always see how other posters have done it by clicking the 'Quote' button in the bottom right-hand corner of a post...but only if you're logged in.

#10 2016-04-11 07:16:03

Calligar

Also, because of country issues, I'm not sure, but here is another link you can use.  The youtube one cuts off for me at the top and bottom, plus, while youtube is free and legal, the person putting the video up isn't always.  There are no issues with watching these, but you can expect them to quite frequently get taken down.

*EDIT* I added in another link

Last edited by Calligar (2016-04-11 07:26:19)

#11 2016-04-11 12:21:34

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Calligar;

That link doesn't work for me either; Hulu says their movies "can only be streamed within the United States". Anyway, I have seen both the English dubbed and captioned versions elsewhere (but I don't recall where), and the YouTube version will do for me if I need to refer to the movie again, even though the top and bottom are cut off.

I guess we'll never really know the correct answer to Kaito's puzzle (and hence yours), but I favour my reasoning in post #7 for both puzzles.

Last edited by phrontister (2016-04-11 18:32:46)

Board footer