Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-29 18:17:05

Monox D. I-Fly

[ASK] Newest Mathematics

What are the newest/most recent/contemporary maths? What are math recent discoveries which can be taught in school? Thanks.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#2 2016-02-29 18:37:32

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: [ASK] Newest Mathematics

Hi;

The greatest impetus to math in the last half of the twentieth century has been the computer. With it, the revival of experimental mathematics. Although not being officially taught, I think it is influencing everyone who now does any type of mathematics.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2016-02-29 18:57:06

Monox D. I-Fly

But it can't be made to a math school book. Are there anything else which have nothing to do with computer?

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.

#4 2016-02-29 19:22:56

bobbym
bumpkin

Please read http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=19346

Of course it is possible to write school books for it.

Are there anything else which have nothing to do with computer?

That is like asking if there is any math that can be done in the sand or on stone tablets by candlelight. I prefer using electricity and a nice pen even though Euler used a quill and a candle.

#5 2016-02-29 19:26:30

Monox D. I-Fly

I mean, the math computer programs aren't even in the school math curriculum....

#6 2016-02-29 19:41:13

bobbym
bumpkin

That is a big problem that the math community is not addressing. Computational mathematics has been relegated to a subordinate position. The attitude of guys like Hardy was that computation was boring and not as important as axiomatic math.

A case in point, a kid is asked to solve a math problem in school and he he does a lot of so called brilliant math and at the end he adds 19 and 34 and gets 63 for the final answer. The teacher grades the paper and notices little Johnny gave the wrong answer but gives him 9 out of 10 points because he only made one little tiny mistake at the end. Well let me tell you, the rocket that some day little Johnny will be doing the math for does not care that he did great math and only messed up at the end. Guess what? The rocket still explodes killing everyone on board even though the math he did was beautiful and great and he only made one tiny error.

The moral is, computational math is just as important. Something they should be addressing in school because out in the real world mistakes like Little Johnny's are just too costly and you have to know how to use a computer correctly. To learn, you have to be taught.

#7 2016-02-29 19:49:16

Monox D. I-Fly

Okay, let me tell you my problem. My boss asked me to look for some information about modern math to be used to make some books which fit the school math curriculum. I don't know what to do.

#8 2016-02-29 19:54:03

bobbym
bumpkin

Oops! I thought you meant for open minded people. Bosses rarely if ever are. I am sorry, you had better give him the type of answer he wants you to give. I will stop ranting and let some other people chime in with suggestions.

By the way, what kind of work do you do?

#9 2016-02-29 19:58:22

Monox D. I-Fly

I am an editor in a book publisher, but sometimes I am asked to write the book myself.

#10 2016-02-29 19:59:39

bobbym
bumpkin

Very good! Interesting work.

Board footer