Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-11 12:53:07

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Exercises

How about a new section of the Forum called "Exercises" where we could have topics like "Fractions Exercises", "Integration by Parts Exercises", etc. (Thanks to Ricky for sparking the idea!)

It would be a great resource for people studying for exams or just trying to understand the subject by *doing*.

Not all exercises need have an answer, and some answers could have full "workings" while others just the result. The "hide" tag could also be used. In fact people could debate the answers. which would help understanding and improve the quality.

Moderators could also delete off-topic posts or clean up bad answers to keep the quality high.

If everyone contributed a few exercises it could grow quite quickly.

Comments?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2006-07-11 14:10:44

mikau

Re: Exercises

I like the idea. I also think it would be cool if newspapers posted math problems as well as crosswords, crytograms, etc. Wouldn't it be fun to wake up with a cup of coffee, a morning paper and a few good math problems? But seeing as how I'm not the emperor of the earth, we'll have to settle with your suggestion.

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#3 2006-07-11 19:43:42

Patrick
Real Member

Sounds interresting...

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#4 2006-07-13 14:06:58

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks, m and p.

Anyone else got an opinion before I create this new section? I mean, it will be a whole new section. Yet another section. An increase by 1 in the number of sections.

I will probably put it under "Teaching Math", above or below Formulas? Or near the top just under "This is Cool".

And I will be hassling people to contribute smile

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2006-07-13 14:53:50

mikau

Anyone else got an opinion before I create this new section? I mean, it will be a whole new section. Yet another section. An increase by 1 in the number of sections.

LOL! You okay?

I'm sure ganesh could lend a hand, his puzzles are already a good source of excersize.

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#6 2006-07-13 15:16:42

John E. Franklin

One math website I saw once (can't remember name) they moved completed problems to a certain area and the unfinished problems stayed to be worked on.    Pretty neat idea.  I suppose if someone really wants to add to a closed thread, they could start a new thread and make links to the other thread and continue with it.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#7 2006-07-13 21:51:17

justlookingforthemoment

I think this is a good idea, but I would just like to check, how is this section different from Ganesh's Puzzles or Puzzles and Games?

From reading the above posts, my understanding is that people post puzzles with the answers hidden. And the difference from the other two forums is that people don't reply with the answer?

#8 2006-07-14 01:03:35

MathsIsFun
Administrator

justlookingforthemoment wrote:

How is this section different from Ganesh's Puzzles or Puzzles and Games?

From a User's point of view, if they have an exam coming up they can go to Exercises for practice.

I could also add links from description pages (such as Introduction to Algebra) to a topic like "Basic Algebra Exercises" which would have questions like

1. x+2=9
2. 3x+4 = 1

Having answers is fine ... but I was just saying that not all questions need have answers, and some could have full descriptive answers plainly visible, while others have them hidden. This way a student can see what to do by example, then has a chance to do some without easily seeing the answer first.

But being on the forum it enables us to bend or break the rules to suit the situation.

I think it would also be really cool to make what could normally be seen as "hard work" instead come alive on the forum with discussion, debate and alternative methods of solution.

Not to influence you in any way though smile

John E. Franklin wrote:

... moved completed problems to a certain area and the unfinished problems stayed to be worked on...

Good Idea. In fact we could do that! There are bound to be many "Puzzle" and "Help Me!" topics that could be moved (and probably renamed) to suit.

#9 2006-07-14 10:16:52

justlookingforthemoment

Yeah, that makes more sense.

MathsIsFun wrote:

I will probably put it under "Teaching Math", above or below Formulas? Or near the top just under "This is Cool".

I would say put it under 'This is Cool', but

MathsIsFun wrote:

Not to influence you in any way though

smile

#10 2006-07-14 12:51:50

MathsIsFun
Administrator

OK, anyone else have a preference for where to slot the new section in?

#11 2006-07-14 12:59:14

Ricky

I would put it under help me.

I would also not provide answers, but allow people to post questions if they can't solve them.  Then we can help them out.  Of course, once they are helped, the posts will be deleted.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#12 2006-07-15 00:03:01

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I was thinking of how math books often have a range of exercises. Some are solved completely as examples, others have just the answer at the back of the book, and then there are some questions with no answers.

So to me I don't mind if some are solved, or even if several have answers available via the "hide" tag (someone who is practicing to pass an exam would surely not "cheat" while practicing, but would value a confirmation of their answer).

So maybe some general rule like "some can be solved, others can have only answers, and the rest have no answers" ?

#13 2006-07-15 18:09:08

MathsIsFun
Administrator

After a bit of thought, I think it would be good to put this new section *temporarily* where the "Worksheets ..." section is, until we build up a reasonable number of topics. Otherwise it will attract a lot of disappointed visitors.

When it is a reasonable sized resource, we can move it under "Help Me".

And I might also move all "Worksheet..." topics to the General "Math is Fun..." section (there are only 8 to move).

Good plan?

#14 2006-07-16 11:05:17

MathsIsFun
Administrator

OK, "Exercises" are where "Worksheets" used to be.

Please contribute what you can to help others practicing for exams, etc smile

#15 2006-07-23 06:37:33

Devantè
Real Member

Thee are some 'basic' topics in the Excercises forum. Is it OK to create 'Advanced' threads, or would it seem silly?

eg. Advanced Addition

Board footer