Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-21 08:28:14

Newman

Old And Rediscovering Math

Hi guys,

I'm 40! Haha. For some reason, I've become obsessed with math. Twenty years ago, I graduated college with a BA in psychology but to my astonishment, I'm seriously considering going back to school to get my math degree. I've worked in economics but the math was pretty elementary (non-existent by your standards probably. Haha). I didn't have to do any real hardcore modeling or even statistics really.

I always did well and enjoyed math but didn't have any particular love for it...until recently. Just relearning quadratic equations has been a thrill. I assume it will take about a year to even be near-ready to begin college level math again which is funny because I tested out of everything but statistics when I was a dumb freshman 22 years ago. Haha.

I'm just starting to get back into it. So, I was wondering what tips and suggestions you guys have here. One year of prep seems long to me but I want to be realistic. I understand that math is like a musical instrument or language that one needs to practice. I taught music for 6 years so I understand how that works.

Thanks guys and gals!!!!

#2 2015-09-21 08:47:26

zetafunc
Website

Re: Old And Rediscovering Math

Welcome to the forum!

#3 2015-09-21 13:47:39

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Welcome to the forum. Going back to school is one idea but whatever you do get involved on a forum like this one where you can ask questions.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#4 2015-09-21 14:42:14

Newman

bobbym wrote:

Hi;

Welcome to the forum. Going back to school is one idea but whatever you do get involved on a forum like this one where you can ask questions.

Indeed. This forum is amazing. My explorations so far have been extremely rewarding. The knowledge you folks possess is beautiful (sorry haha) to me. I hope u all take time off occasionally to appreciate that. WARNING: The questions must flow! Haha. Soon.

#5 2015-09-21 14:58:43

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Hopefully, the answers will flow as easily.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#6 2015-09-21 15:21:35

David

Hello! Welcome to the forum.

His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.

#7 2015-09-21 19:38:55

Bob
Administrator

hi Newman

Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean by 'old' ?  Some of us saw that age a while back.  smile

My favourite place for 'teach yourself maths' is right here:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/index.htm

And if you want specific help, just post here on the forum.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#8 2015-09-22 00:37:54

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi Newman,

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer