Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-10 19:32:19

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Three Legged Mice on Venus

Today's topic is three legged mice on Venus.

bobbym wrote:

We can also assume three legged mice on Venus but of what value is that?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#2 2014-12-10 21:28:16

Bob
Administrator

Re: Three Legged Mice on Venus

Unlikely, I think.  The chemical composition of the atmosphere and the pressure, make it unlikely they would survive.  But, if they do exist, they would be much more dangerous than the gun toting rodents that bobbym is warning about as it would be so much harder to fight back against them.

What would be the evolutionary advantage of three legs ?  On Earth, creatures have many numbers of legs, but I cannot think of a single instance of a creature with three.  Are you sure it isn't just a four legged mouse with one leg hidden from view ?

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2014-12-10 21:37:00

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What would be the evolutionary advantage of three legs ?

Given three points on an R^n space, a plane passes through them.

That is why three-legged tables (and mice) are more stable and easier to design.

Another possible advantage over having more than 3 legs is obvious: it wants to save material.

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#4 2014-12-10 21:45:52

Bob
Administrator

easier to design

I was assuming evolution rather than design.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#5 2014-12-10 23:44:43

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

You are right. I have to think of a different theory then sad

#6 2014-12-20 02:50:42

auyeungyat

It might,by
1)Making it suitable to live on Venus
  If it REALLY lived on Venus,It might change their to be capable of the chemical composition and pressure.But the worries of #2

bob bundy wrote:

Unlikely, I think.  The chemical composition of the atmosphere and the pressure, make it unlikely they would survive.  But, if they do exist, they would be much more dangerous than the gun toting rodents that bobbym is warning about as it would be so much harder to fight back against them.

What would be the evolutionary advantage of three legs ?  On Earth, creatures have many numbers of legs, but I cannot think of a single instance of a creature with three.  Are you sure it isn't just a four legged mouse with one leg hidden from view ?

Bob

would not exist-They will just explode on Earth,on either evolution and design.
2)three legs are more stable
Did you heard about tricycle?

#7 2014-12-20 04:57:41

bobbym
bumpkin

Half of the human race has lost their mind and the other half wants to be just like them.

I was just making an offhand comment back then but it seems that a small group of surly three legged mice now residing in Peoria have pooled their expertise and money to building an interplanetary vehicle. You guessed it, they want Venus to be their new home. Venera they say, which compiled most of that sulfuric acid and high temperature data was in error. After all they argue how reliable is a big can that was being crushed to relay reliable data?

They have asked me via telepathic communication if I would allow them to contact other members that may be able of help. I agreed as long as they did not use telepathy but posted in the normal manner and abided by the rules. Just thought everyone should know...

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer