Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2006-05-11 11:55:03

mikau

Re: imballanced brain...

The reason why so many mathematicians, creative or not, have hard times in social situations is because they are too intelligent to care about all the irrelevant garbage most people rant on and on about for hours!

Hah! Mathskitto, your a genius! Everything your saying is painfully true!

Well, I've never really had problems with talking to people, being together with them or whatever. I do, however, have/have had a problem in common with you:How can you trust people?.. I guess the simple, yet confusing, answer has to be: You can't, but you have to... You can never know if people are telling the truth, but you have to give them a chance. If you don't, you won't ever have any friends. How old are you btw?

I'm not sure if this was directed at me but if it was,

I'm 19 almost 20. Its really a queston of people not telling the truth, but as mathskitto said, direct and honest speech has been replaced with subtle hints, inefficiency, political correctness, etc. Not that I think people should speak their mind, that would be a disaster. No being polite is necessary but... its just you can't tell whats on a persons mind by talking to them. They act friendly and polite but you don't know whats going through their head. You see it all the time, someone cusses someone out the second they leave the room when they were just previously speaking aimiably with them. Messed up..

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#27 2006-05-11 22:28:46

Zmurf

I don;t think either side of my brain is more developed, actually, if I could drill a door into the side of my school, I could store stuff in the void between bone and brain.

"When subtracted from 180, the sum of the square-root of the two equal angles of an isocoles triangle squared will give the square-root of the remaining angle squared."

#28 2006-05-12 00:17:12

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I read an article last year where the author said that it is a full-time job to be "cool", and smart students are much more interested in their subjects to spend their time keeping up with all that.

The author also said that this is only a problem during High School, and by the time you are at Uni or have a job your knowledge becomes an asset.

Anyone agree with that?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#29 2006-05-12 04:18:53

John E. Franklin

I agree with MathSkitzo.  I hate being polite because it seems as though your not free to just be who you are.
I am ofcourse polite most of the time because I choose to be.  Also, I didn't see this post when it started in February or so, and I would have said some things to mathsyperson like I also don't have many friends, but I do have brothers and sisters so that helps.  There have been times in my life when I did have some close friends, and ofcourse I was married once, so I think although I am not very sociable, I have interacted well at many times in my life with others.   And as for talking about various subject areas with people, I'll talk about anything, and I sometimes do run topics by people that get no interest, but the reverse happens to me.  But in good time, mathsy, you will meet someone and probably talk endlessly for hours.  All good things come with time.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#30 2006-05-12 04:35:24

John E. Franklin

Woops, I mean Mikau.  Sorry for the mixup.  It's hard to keep track since we've never met.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#31 2006-05-12 05:31:35

mikau

Thanks, ganesh. I mean... John E. Franklin. ;-) Yeah I can go on and on about a subject I know about, but it seems at this point thats only mathematics.

The author also said that this is only a problem during High School, and by the time you are at Uni or have a job your knowledge becomes an asset.

Anyone agree with that?

Boo ya! Definitly! In fact I said almost the exact same thing before. When you're younger no one cares about school, in fact everyone despises it with a passion, those good at school are labeled nerds and uncool, but when you reach a certain age level, how awsome you are is directly proportional to how much you know. The nerds end up with Jaguar's and the "cool" kids with mopeds.

But what that author said pinpoints exactly when it happens. When you stop highschool where everyone is forced to go, and enter college where the brain hungry go.

#32 2006-05-12 05:56:57

John E. Franklin

It's a strange world because the brainy jobs pay more than the physical labor jobs. 
Personally I would like to have two or three part time jobs where some was physical work and some was brainy work.
Or even a workplace that allowed some sort of shift changes during the day to something else.
I think variety is the spice of life.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#33 2006-05-12 09:57:33

MATHSKITZO

John E. Franklin wrote:

Personally I would like to have two or three part time jobs where some was physical work and some was brainy work.
Or even a workplace that allowed some sort of shift changes during the day to something else.
I think variety is the spice of life.

You remind me of Marxists.

And I don't mean that in a derogatory way.

'Math is not a means to arrive at truth, Math IS the only truth!'

#34 2006-05-12 10:24:53

Patrick
Real Member

mikau wrote:

The reason why so many mathematicians, creative or not, have hard times in social situations is because they are too intelligent to care about all the irrelevant garbage most people rant on and on about for hours!

Am I just making something up, or do I get a feeling that you think you are better than people who aren't interrested in math? If that's what you mean, I have to say that I strongly disagree.

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#35 2006-05-12 10:31:35

MATHSKITZO

Patrick wrote:
mikau wrote:

Am I just making something up, or do I get a feeling that you think you are better than people who aren't interrested in math? If that's what you mean, I have to say that I strongly disagree.

Yeah, the world would be pretty boring if it were full of just mathematicians.

But I don't think you were talking to me.

#36 2006-05-12 11:08:19

mikau

Patrick wrote:
mikau wrote:

better? Certainly not. In fact I would not wish anyone to have the kind of pathetic life I lead. :-/

Do I consider mathematicians (which includes myself) more intelligent then other people? Well put it this way,  I'd say "if: mathematician then intelligent" basicly I think being good math or science indicates a logical brain. This statement does not say that if your not a mathematician, you are not smart.

And basicly I think people who hold an interest in math and science generally prefer to occupy their brain with different types of thoughts that in some way relate to math or science, while other more poetic people are content to occupy their thoughts with small talk and simple conversations, and can find the beauty in simple things. If this sort of thing contents them, more power to them, there's nothing wrong with it. I wish I could better content myself with the simple things of every day life instead of always seeing problems and trying to fix them.   

Besides, I started this thread because I feel a lack of everything but mathematics in my life, I value things like friendship & love, things which everyone else seems good at, but I am incapable of achieving, all I seem capable of is solving a dang math problem! Basicly I consider myself worse off then most people BECAUSE I am a mathematician...and nothing else..

Last edited by mikau (2006-05-12 11:10:29)

#37 2006-05-12 11:15:54

Patrick
Real Member

Well, just had to know.. You're going to attend university or something soon aren't you?(think I remember you said that in the thread about you learning math on your own) You'll be meeting lots of people like you there, and I'm sure you'll have plenty to talk about.

#38 2006-05-12 11:25:08

MATHSKITZO

It was me who said he likes learning on his own.  So far I just take random university transfer courses at college, and I liked it that way because I take exactly what I want and it actually counts towards a degree.

But even that annoyed me, I learn much better on my own, as long as I have some sort of outline of what I need to know, otherwise it gets messy.

And by the way, I think seeing the beauty in simple things is the same as seeing relationships in math or science.  People are just usually used to one or the other.  Heck everything is the same, even the orbit of sattellites around planets reminds me a lot of the electrons around a nucleus.  Everything is like this.  Everything is the same.

#39 2006-05-12 11:53:07

mikau

It was me who said he likes learning on his own.

Nay! It was I!

lol, I believe he was refering to me, Mathskittzo, as I taught myself algebra through calculus and have not been in a college yet, but just recently applied to a college and financial aide, hopefully I'll get in this summer.

#40 2006-05-12 16:52:01

MATHSKITZO

Sounds like we have a lot in common mikau.

I taught myself alegebra after being out of school for almost 10 years and never really showing up to math class when I was in school.

I am still teaching myself actually, I will be taking an online version of math 30 which I need for uni, and right now I'm just trying to master the book from the last pre calculus course I dropped out of.

The only thing I took in college so far was a few astronomy course because I like that stuff, and you can do some fun stuff with math in it.

It's nice to meet you dude.

#41 2006-05-13 00:11:11

George,Y

And basicly I think people who hold an interest in math and science generally prefer to occupy their brain with different types of thoughts that in some way relate to math or science, while other more poetic people are content to occupy their thoughts with small talk and simple conversations, and can find the beauty in simple things.

I think math is already simple, you have only a few formulas to remember, which are even correlated! And that's why I hate my major and love simple, brief and elegant math.

X'(y-Xβ)=0

#42 2006-05-13 00:13:18

George,Y

Mikau, do you love movies? I think a philosophical movie would be a good start.

X'(y-Xβ)=0

#43 2006-05-13 00:16:58

MATHSKITZO

lol

#44 2006-05-14 12:11:01

XXdancerdork1313

when i do my math it is somethimes really hard for me to understand.  And it is somtimes that way with my friends.  I need HELP! sad Please help me!

#45 2006-05-14 12:35:03

mikau

Math takes practice. Sometimes for me I need to simply remember HOW to solve a problem and worry about understanding why it works later. I mean when something isn't clear to me I toss it around in my head for a while. Some times I'm lying in bed unable to sleep thinking about math. (I am a complete nerd.) I'll just be sitting there and suddenly I'll realize "Oh.... THATS why that formula works". Also I investigate things in math that I have not yet been taught. (like arc length of polar curves) or trying to find proofs of things that were presented without proof in my book. Like why the derivative of x^n = n x^(n - 1),  why the area under a curve can be found by integrating, things like that.

I think that a subjects like algebra or calculus are kind of like a puzzle, you cannot fully understand the meaning of each individual part untill you see how they come together. In otherwords seek to understand what your doing but don't let it slow you down if you don't fully understand something, as more pieces of the puzzle fall into place you get the hang of it. And come back to things your not totally clear on later and think about them. See if it begins to make more sense.

Hopefully that will help. I taught myself algebra 1 through calculus using this method. But I think the fact that I think about and do math on my free time, out of my own interest, that really keeps me moving forward. 

I can give you advice on that because I have experience there, but understanding friends, I'm not the person to ask.

Last edited by mikau (2006-05-14 12:35:36)

#46 2006-05-14 14:19:16

XXdancerdork1313

Help!!!!!!!!!!

#47 2006-05-15 02:20:21

Patrick
Real Member

You really have to describe your problem a lot better if you want us to help you..

#48 2006-05-15 02:50:58

George,Y

Find a math book you understand and pour a bottle of glue onto your chair , sit(makes sense now), then start reading and practicing.

My initiative is like yours. But soon I found that there's not a "quick" way to cover math.

A psycologist studying creativity found that until there're enough "poles" in one's brain, advanced web for creative thinking could not form.

So you should get some comprehensive books and some interesting books, and go to our forum often- to set those "poles".

Last edited by George,Y (2006-05-20 21:31:37)

X'(y-Xβ)=0

#49 2006-05-15 10:37:32

mikau

HAHAHAHAA!!! :-D :-P

wait a minute that doesn't make any sense...

Board footer