Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-08 19:23:08

MATHSKITZO

Mad Math!

Hey people:

I am 28 year old dude, who didn't care about anything other than partying highschool (partially because I saw everything as trivial and irrelevant), I have been trying to make up for it for over a year now.

I taught myself math far past what I ever learned in school, then went back to school, took two uni level astronomy courses while also upgrading (and learning) Math 30 for the first time.  (Math 30 is like pre calculus.)

I've always loved science, but I never found math as fun untill recently.  I ended up dropping out of the math 30 course I was taking because it was all about memorization.  It was about learning to pass a math exam, NOT LEARNING MATH.  For some reason, my brain completely rejects anything it doesn't understand the living math out of.  I currently spend about 8 hours a day analyzing the living math out of every little thing in math I am supposed to learn, as well as philosophizing the math out of every little thing I come across in mathematics. I need to be able to visulalize everything and to do that means you must understand the math out of everything.

I never thought I would turn into such a geek, but it's happening and I can't stop it.  Nor do I want it to.  I can't wait to get started on calculus, although I will probably teach it to myself because I learn WAY better that way.  (as long as there is someone to help me when I get stumped.)

Anyway, if it was up to me, I would get so ridiculously good at math,  that I never have to speak Enlgish again.

Any advice on different games, or things to work on to totally max out my math potential would be much appreciated.  I am willing to put a ridiculous amount of effort into improving my math skills.

Math is not a means to arrive at truth, Math IS the only truth!

I am ready for some Mad Math!

Thank you, and nice to meet you all.

'Math is not a means to arrive at truth, Math IS the only truth!'

#2 2006-05-08 20:02:16

Zmurf

Re: Mad Math!

Sounds like me if i was 11 years older, I have HSC next year and I better buckle down or I know I will really regret it.

"When subtracted from 180, the sum of the square-root of the two equal angles of an isocoles triangle squared will give the square-root of the remaining angle squared."

#3 2006-05-08 21:36:26

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Welcome MathSkitzo!

We have lots to satisfy you here - just take a look through any topic here. Have a go at some of Ganesh's Puzzles (warning: some are quite hard ...), and just generally join in the mayhem.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2006-05-09 00:21:37

Patrick
Real Member

haha, your introduction made me laugh smile But I'm in on the 'use math as a language instead of x"(let x be your language of choice) wink

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#5 2006-05-11 09:12:26

sabdulsamee

My name is S. Abdul-Samee.
I am an Independent Associate of Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
My question is as follows:

How much is infinity divided by zero?

#6 2006-05-11 09:35:09

MATHSKITZO

Can't divide by zero.

#7 2006-05-11 09:36:59

Patrick
Real Member

Hehe, he has spammed this question in quite some threads huh? But yeah, it isnt defined..

#8 2006-05-11 09:46:52

MATHSKITZO

This is the first time I saw his questin actually.

It got drilled into by head doing rational inequalities I think ...

#9 2006-05-11 09:52:01

Patrick
Real Member

:d

Board footer