Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-05 16:49:43

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Finance

Simple Interest

Simple Interest on P Dollars at interest rate r (expressed as a decimal) over time period t is

Example:- The Simple Interest on $400 for 3 months at 5% per annum Simpe interest would be
I=Prt

Hence Simple Interest on $400 for 3 months at 5% pa Simple Interest is 5 Dollars.

Compound Interest

The amount A, or future value, of principal P invested at interest rate r (expressed as decimal) compunded m times per year for t years is

where

the interest rate per compounding period, and n=mt, the number of compunding periods.

For example, Compound interest for $400 at the rate of 10% per annum compounded half yearly for 1 year would be calculated as follows:-
n=2 (1year = 2 half years).
i=10% pa = 5% per half year

Therefore, Compound Interest = $441-$400 = $41

Annuity
The future value of an Ordinary Annuity is

where R is the periodic payment, i the interest rate per period, and n the number of periods. In an ordinary annuity, the payment is made at the end of each period.

The present value of an ordinary annuity is

Profit and Loss
SP=Selling Price, CP=Cost Price

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#2 2006-05-06 01:21:31

George,Y

Re: Finance

What job can we do if you put all the tricks online ????

X'(y-Xβ)=0

#3 2006-05-07 17:10:49

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Finance

Discount
If a discount x% is offered on price P, then

For example, if a discount of 15% is offered on a car worth $4000, then the discounted price is given by

Successive Discounts

If discounts of x% and y%, in that order succesively, are offered on price P, then

For example, if successive discounts of 10% and 20% are offered on an article worth $5000, then

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer