Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-06 11:52:36

PatternMan

When is your mathematical prime?

Someone told me that pretty much all the great mathematicians made their contributions before 30. The exception being Grigori Perelman. Do you agree or disagree with this and to what extent? Can you name any mathematicians that made decent contributions 30+?

"School conditions you to reject your own judgement and experiences. The facts are in the textbook. Memorize and follow the rules. What they don't tell you is the people that discovered the facts and wrote the textbooks are people like you and me."

#2 2014-11-06 12:50:07

ShivamS

Re: When is your mathematical prime?

I think most mathematicians are most active when they're between 30-40 years of age. At that point, they're probably quite enthusiastic and have a good amount of experience.

#3 2014-11-06 13:44:26

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: When is your mathematical prime?

There is little doubt that the productive years are between 20 and 30 for most people...

But look at this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CiwafhlbIs

Ahem, I started at 70. I ain't great but who knows maybe in another 20 years... Here we say, "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then."

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer