Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-08 03:12:16

Lord Mushroom

I need mathematical help

Hi

I am new and I am sad to say I don´t plan on staying for long, but you never know.

I am trying to solve a game-related mathematical problem, and I can´t seem to work it out.

Here is an example that illustrates the core of my problem:

You are part of a game with a total of 3 players.

Each player has a number of chips.

There is a total of 100 chips when we add up the player´s chips.

The chips may be "unfairly" distributed amongst the players.

You don´t know how many chips the other players have.

In each round the players must put 1 chip each in the pot, and random luck decides who receives the pot.

When one player is out of chips, the two remaing players continue playing until there is only one left.

Here is my problem:

What function would show the relationship between the number of your chips (x) and your chance (f(x)) of ending up in 2nd place (not 2nd or better) when there is still 3 players in play?

Does the size of the "bets" each round matter?

It would really help me a lot to get this worked out. It would also be nice to explain the function to me so I can be sure it is correct. I might have some follow-up questions if/when I get an answer.

Last edited by Lord Mushroom (2006-04-08 03:13:14)

#2 2006-04-08 08:08:29

ryos

Re: I need mathematical help

More info needed. How many rounds pass before the pot is passed? Is this a poker sim or something? If the pot decision is truly random, wouldn't it take an exorbitant amount of boring chip-swapping to win?

El que pega primero pega dos veces.

#3 2006-04-08 08:45:54

Lord Mushroom

Re: I need mathematical help

The pot is passed after each round.

Yes, the example has similarities to poker.

Yes, a lot of boring chip passing will have to take place before anyone wins. Unless we increase the stakes in each round (I don´t know if that will change the chance of ending up 2nd).

Board footer