Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-02 06:52:41

αβγ

ɑβγ

Hi! My name is ɑβγ, I'm 14 (turning 15 soon) and I love all things math! (Except applied math, I just like the theoretical stuff...)
Also I love solving theoretical problems, not the applied ones like "If I have 3 apples, what is the integral of apples if the interval is 0 to the number of apples I have and the integrand is also the number of apples I have?"

P.S The answer is 9 if you're wondering... Since

Anyways, HI!!!

Last edited by αβγ (2014-09-02 06:59:33)

α as in alpha stands for "a love of math"
β as in beta stands for "being skilled in the latter"
γ as in gamma stands for "getting sick of homework"

#2 2014-09-02 07:03:40

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: ɑβγ

Hi αβγ;

Welcome to the forum.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2014-09-02 07:08:26

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Hi;

Welcome to reality.

What is your favorite color?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#4 2014-09-02 08:33:01

αβγ

Hi bobbym and Agnishom!

Info about me:

Hobby: Theoretical Mathematics (duh...)
Favorite Area in Math: Integral calculus
Favorite Color: Blue
Least Favorite Area in Math: Anything applied to reality, except for theoretical reality, even if the theoretical reality is based off of reality.
NOTE: I love paradoxes.

#5 2014-09-02 12:28:51

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What is reality?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#6 2014-09-02 12:46:48

ShivamS

Welcome to the forums!

#7 2014-09-02 14:01:19

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi ɑβγ,

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#8 2014-09-02 21:59:21

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi ɑβγ

Welcome to the forum! smile

What is your favourite Greek letter?

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#9 2014-09-03 02:44:55

αβγ

Hello ganesh, ShivamS, and anonimnystefy.

Reality is the acceptance of anything, because if you can't accept the fact that anything is reality, you won't realize that reality is the acceptance of anything.
(The topic gets confusing fast...)

My favorite Greek letter would have to be

(Capital Delta)

#10 2014-09-03 03:13:18

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Okay, I am confused.

Who is this 'you' over here? How can you accept non-realistic mathematics, then?

#11 2014-09-03 04:24:40

αβγ

Let me rephrase my definition of reality...

Pretend "X" is a weird idea no one likes.  Okay?  Everyone thinks "X" is a myth, but in all actuality, it's real.  This means once you accept "X" as real, you accept reality, since "X" is actually real.  Once you accept reality though, (i.e. you accept idea "X") you realize "X" has nothing to do with anything, it's a useless idea, but it's an idea nonetheless.  Therefore, idea "X" is simply something that can only be understood once you accept it as real.  If you don't accept "X", you don't accept reality, therefore causing the non-existence of "X", since you don't think it's real.  In your mind you don't think "X" is real so you "block" the idea of "X" and everything about "X" out and think everything that is not "X", which is everything that is false.  Once you understand that "X" is the real deal, it's the only thing that is true, you learn that everything you know is wrong, and everything you were used to, "everyday reality", i.e. what everyone thinks, knows, etc., is actually just a big lie.  "X" is the only truth, and since it's the only real thing, idea "X" is reality.

Which basically means reality is just anything that is actually true, whether or not it's thought of as true.

Example:

1/0 = ∞

Most people either agree or disagree on whether this equation is true or false.  There are two outcomes, the equation is true, and everyone was right, or it's false and everyone was wrong.  The two possible answers are the "everyday realities", what everyone thinks is right.  The actual answer of whether it's true or false is true reality, and it does and doesn't exist at the same time, because if it existed, then this equation would have a definite, easy to understand answer: it's true, or it's false.  But since it doesn't, the true reality doesn't exist in this "region", and everyone is just gonna have to live with the boring answer of "IDK."

That is my best definition of reality; what is true but might not be accepted or understood.

#12 2014-09-03 05:21:44

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?

Is the Matrix reality?

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#13 2014-09-03 10:21:17

Bob
Administrator

hi ɑβγ

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry this is a bit late but I've been bogged down in the reality of gardening for my Mum.  smile  And trying to find a function for Agnishom's problem (which is very theoretical.)

Bob

ps. what is dx ?  a small bite from an apple ?

Last edited by Bob (2014-09-03 10:26:00)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#14 2014-09-04 02:41:18

αβγ

Hello bob bundy!  And it's okay, I used to have an old account on here, but I haven't been on in so long that I just made a new one since everything was just overwhelming me: moving, homeschoolwork, learning languages (spending hours on it), learning math ( big_smile ), etc.

As far as "dx" goes, it can be interpreted as an emoticon, such as "XD", "XP", or "cx", usually showing excitement, happiness, or silliness, or it can be an infinitesimal value, i.e. the "dx" after a function in an integral, or part of a derivative written in Leibniz notation.

anonimnystefy wrote:

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?

Is the Matrix reality?

I don't know if this is the real life, since the real life can be easily defined, and at times this life that we (everyone) lives in is easily defined, but at other times it's hard to understand.
As far as this being fantasy, I don't know.  It could be, it might not, who knows?
The Matrix might be reality, but it might not.  Again, who knows?

Board footer