Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-08-21 00:53:12

bobbym
bumpkin
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 109,606

Re: Problems with discipline

The only problem is the site doesn't teach the concepts but only gives solutions.

I find their solutions to be rather sparse and show offey. They are posting them to impress their friends. Asking here will get better answers than they can provide.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Offline

#27 2014-08-21 02:27:49

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 24,838
Website

Re: Problems with discipline

Brilliant is a competition site, rather than education. For that purpose, I wil recommend mathopolis, mathisfun and expii.

Ask me if you need a refferal code for expii


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#28 2014-08-21 02:42:06

ShivamS
Member
Registered: 2011-02-07
Posts: 3,648

Re: Problems with discipline

Actually Brilliant has some pages teaching concepts (in technique trainer, I think) but really you can't learn from the Internet.

Offline

#29 2014-08-21 03:05:12

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 24,838
Website

Re: Problems with discipline

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself......bob bundy


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#30 2014-08-21 03:20:58

bobbym
bumpkin
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 109,606

Re: Problems with discipline

The internet has taught me a lot.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Offline

#31 2014-08-21 06:16:29

PatternMan
Member
Registered: 2014-03-08
Posts: 199

Re: Problems with discipline

ShivamS wrote:

Actually Brilliant has some pages teaching concepts (in technique trainer, I think) but really you can't learn from the Internet.

I disagree with this. The internet can be better than books sometimes. I see maths animations online sometimes that make a concept clear. This would never be in a book. In fact I prefer doing problems in front of the computer as the interface is interactive by clicks. I don't have to physically flick to the back of a book to see a solution.

Agnishom wrote:

Brilliant is a competition site, rather than education. For that purpose, I wil recommend mathopolis, mathisfun and expii.

Ask me if you need a refferal code for expii

Give me please.

Last edited by PatternMan (2014-08-21 07:12:16)


"School conditions you to reject your own judgement and experiences. The facts are in the textbook. Memorize and follow the rules. What they don't tell you is the people that discovered the facts and wrote the textbooks are people like you and me."

Offline

#32 2014-08-21 08:54:56

ShivamS
Member
Registered: 2011-02-07
Posts: 3,648

Re: Problems with discipline

Sorry, I meant the Internet isn't good for calculus and beyond.

Last edited by ShivamS (2014-08-23 07:59:25)

Offline

#33 2014-08-21 09:18:59

PatternMan
Member
Registered: 2014-03-08
Posts: 199

Re: Problems with discipline

ShivamS wrote:

Sorry, I meant theInternet isn't good for calculus and beyond.

Not yet, xD That can be changed.


"School conditions you to reject your own judgement and experiences. The facts are in the textbook. Memorize and follow the rules. What they don't tell you is the people that discovered the facts and wrote the textbooks are people like you and me."

Offline

#34 2014-08-21 09:23:53

ShivamS
Member
Registered: 2011-02-07
Posts: 3,648

Re: Problems with discipline

I hope so.

Offline

#35 2014-08-21 23:18:58

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 24,838
Website

Re: Problems with discipline

You did not get my email, PatternMan?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#36 2014-08-23 07:58:29

PatternMan
Member
Registered: 2014-03-08
Posts: 199

Re: Problems with discipline

Agnishom wrote:

You did not get my email, PatternMan?

Yes but it wont let me sign up for some reason.


"School conditions you to reject your own judgement and experiences. The facts are in the textbook. Memorize and follow the rules. What they don't tell you is the people that discovered the facts and wrote the textbooks are people like you and me."

Offline

#37 2014-08-23 12:51:24

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 24,838
Website

Re: Problems with discipline

What reason is that?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#38 2014-08-25 00:49:45

PatternMan
Member
Registered: 2014-03-08
Posts: 199

Re: Problems with discipline

Agnishom wrote:

What reason is that?

I was able to sign up now. The website looks promising. I love the navigator and the explanations and overviews are great. I didn't see any examples or practice problems. It's also not as easy as some other sites to navigate but the website is only in it's better phase.


"School conditions you to reject your own judgement and experiences. The facts are in the textbook. Memorize and follow the rules. What they don't tell you is the people that discovered the facts and wrote the textbooks are people like you and me."

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB