Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-25 15:11:45

mathaholic

Bump (Bring Up my Post)

Hello everyone, I just want to tell you something about the bump, or bring up my post.

Well, bump is the acronym for "Bring up my post". It is useful for topics with no replies (so far), or want more replies to the topic.

Bumping on an old topic is called necroposting, and there are good things and bad things there. It's good to necropost if the topic is relevant, e.g. a topic about a mathematician. (content removed by mathaholic)

I want to promote this because it has been done in a lot of forums already (maybe), such as the Scratch Forums. I feel like the only user here that uses the bump. Anyways, it's okay if you're not satisfied, I just want all of you to know something. smile

Last edited by mathaholic (2014-05-25 19:55:00)

Mathaholic | 10th most active poster | Maker of the 350,000th post | Person | rrr's classmate
smile

#2 2014-05-25 19:09:43

zetafunc
Website

Re: Bump (Bring Up my Post)

mathaholic wrote:

Bumping on an old topic is called necroposting, and there are good things and bad things there. It's good to necropost if the topic is relevant, e.g. a topic about a mathematician. Or irrelevant topics such as a topic in "Help Me!" that has been answered already (you already know the answer, right? So why need more answers?)

Can't quite see how such posts are necessarily irrelevant -- very often guests (like myself) are searching for solutions across the internet hoping to stumble upon a thread on some forum where someone is having the same problem with a question, hoping that someone has answered it. If it has already been answered, sometimes it is good to get another perspective on things; perhaps see an alternative solution that unpicks some deeper insight into the problem that we'd never thought of before. I believe someone 'bumped' my old "Laplace Transform of tan(t)" thread a few years later, both here and on another forum, to add something that I found interesting to read about.

#3 2014-05-25 19:54:37

mathaholic

Re: Bump (Bring Up my Post)

Hmm... sorry to call that irrelevant. I'll edit it.

Mathaholic | 10th most active poster | Maker of the 350,000th post | Person | rrr's classmate
smile

Board footer