Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-11 06:47:20

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Stupidity

This is a thread dedicated to discussion regarding stupidity.

Let me get the ball rolling

These are Cipolla's five fundamental laws of stupidity:

)>Always and inevitably each of us underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.
)>The probability that a given person is stupid is independent of any other characteristic possessed by that person.
)>A person is stupid if they cause damage to another person or group of people without experiencing personal gain, or even worse causing damage to themselves in the process.
)>Non-stupid people always underestimate the harmful potential of stupid people; they constantly forget that at any time anywhere, and in any circumstance, dealing with or associating themselves with stupid individuals invariably constitutes a costly error.
)>A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person there is.

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#2 2014-05-11 06:48:16

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Stupidity

We covered those already, did we not?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2014-05-11 06:52:56

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

bobbym wrote:

Hmmm, what does it matter about stupidity? How do you know stupidity? Do you ask people whether they are stupid? Would a stupid person know they are stupid? I do not ask the people who join whether they are stupid, why should I?

You did not cover much

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

Stupidity is infinite, it needs more study

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#4 2014-05-11 06:57:35

bobbym
bumpkin

More of that Einstein, I will have you know that Einy has not said anything brilliant recently.

Know the moral of the duck? Could be that a study of stupidity might be dangerous.

#5 2014-05-11 07:05:31

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What is the moral of the duck?

#6 2014-05-11 07:09:55

bobbym
bumpkin

The Duck Test.

Mazey wrote:

But when I see a bird that quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, has feathers and webbed feet and associates with ducks—I’m certainly going to assume that he is a duck.

Wikipedia wrote:

The test implies that a person can identify an unknown subject by observing that subject's habitual characteristics. It is sometimes used to counter abstruse arguments that something is not what it appears to be.

Board footer