Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-16 12:45:52

PatternMan

How has mathematics enriched your life?

The title is says it all. Basic mathematics has allowed me to assign quantities to objects and events. That's a very powerful thing in itself. I can measure objects, time, cost, payoff and adjust accordingly. I can also predict some behaviours people will make because of these numbers. People take the best deal unless their reasoning is flawed. With algebra I can find an unknown quantity which has helped me penny pinch in the supermarket. It's also allowed me to try basic programming. Statistics help me make better decisions rathers than inflating or marginalizing the real data and ending up with a skewed view. At the very least I can document my own sample data. Instead of basing my decisions on the strongest emotions. 2 of 10 were bad but the rest were good. But because 2 made me very angry I will no longer go with the 80% good odds. That would be a bad decision to make.

"School conditions you to reject your own judgement and experiences. The facts are in the textbook. Memorize and follow the rules. What they don't tell you is the people that discovered the facts and wrote the textbooks are people like you and me."

#2 2014-03-16 13:45:56

ShivamS

Re: How has mathematics enriched your life?

Math and science have enriched my life in a way such that I can't imagine how I would be if I didn't know the little math and science I do. Someone said "Math and science are merely a different way of seeing the world." I don't care about the applications of math in everyday life like calculating taxes, but math is the building block for science which influences so many parts of our life.

#3 2014-03-16 16:18:49

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I do not know. I have fallen in love with it.

What is your definition for enrichment?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#4 2014-03-16 16:36:02

bobbym
bumpkin

I only know it is hard and that I like it.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#5 2014-03-17 10:44:44

PatternMan

So you guys like math just for the sake of mathematics without having to apply it to anything? That seems strange to me.

"School conditions you to reject your own judgement and experiences. The facts are in the textbook. Memorize and follow the rules. What they don't tell you is the people that discovered the facts and wrote the textbooks are people like you and me."

#6 2014-03-17 14:52:37

bobbym
bumpkin

Absolutely not, to me math is grounded in a problem. My favorite are recreational problems.

#7 2014-03-17 15:27:57

niharika_kumar

while doing maths we tend to forget our problems and just concentrate at one place as it is so intriguing and after sometime the problems seem to go off. smile

Last edited by niharika_kumar (2014-03-17 15:28:56)

friendship is tan 90°.

#8 2014-03-19 00:03:13

PatternMan

niharika_kumar wrote:

while doing maths we tend to forget our problems and just concentrate at one place as it is so intriguing and after sometime the problems seem to go off. smile

lol yes mathematics is a form of escapism for me too. My mind focuses on the problem and every other issue in life dissolves into non existence for the moments I'm solving the problem.

#9 2014-03-26 12:51:25

eigenguy

I have heard numerous people say that they never used algebra again after graduating. Those in more technical fields use basic algebra, but never anything higher. It has been claimed that higher mathematics exists only in academia.

I have found just the opposite to be true. My job (weight engineer for an aircraft company) has given me cause to invert a 7x7 matrix (if I had really gone whole hog on the problem, I would have had to invert a 12x12 matrix). It has required me to find eigenvectors and eigenvalues. About 3 or 4 years ago, I came across an application where using complex numbers simplified a calculation more than any other approach (calculating gear axle location from a measurement of the "shock absorber"). I have had need for differential and integral calculus. I have solved differential equations, developed numerical methods, explored esoteric spaces, all just to do my job.

Most of my collegues never go beyond algebra or a little analytic geometry (and trig is alwasys useful). But it isn't because the opportunities for use of higher mathematics are not there. It is because they are not as familiar with them, so they don't see the opportunities. (And because, since I am available, many of those jobs get passed to me.) Instead, they fall to experimentation to solve similar issues.

Of course I also engage in recreational mathematics, or else I wouldn't be here. Anytime I find myself with nothing else to occupy my time, I pull up a problem in my head and muse upon it. Attempting to find a human proof of the 4 color theorem is one of my favorites. Of course, I haven't found one, but I have come across a number of intriguing results. (The 4 color theorem is famous for a computer proof of it that was produced in 1976 - the first well-known hypothesis to be proven by computer.) I haven't been truly bored in decades.

"Having thus refreshed ourselves in the oasis of a proof, we now turn again into the desert of definitions." - Bröcker & Jänich

#10 2014-05-07 03:58:08

ManiticMath

I like math because when I have nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs I can take out that math problem I was trying to solve and finish it.

When ever I see a brand new new math problem, I want to solve it. Then I want to burn it. Then I want to rebuild it in a new, more streamlined way.

#11 2014-05-07 05:18:27

Nehushtan

Mathematics has given me a university degree I can wave in front of everyone to show them how smart I am.

240 books currently added on Goodreads

#12 2014-05-07 06:25:11

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

You must be joking? How does showing off smartness help enriching your life?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#13 2014-05-07 09:22:39

ShivamS

What Nehushtan said is true. Having a mathematics degree makes you look smart and looking smart does "enrich" your life. Of course, I am sure it is not the only or the primary reason.

#14 2014-05-07 10:47:24

PatternMan

ShivamS wrote:

What Nehushtan said is true. Having a mathematics degree makes you look smart and looking smart does "enrich" your life. Of course, I am sure it is not the only or the primary reason.

lol yes other people's perception of you is half the battle. When people see a math degree, especially if it's from a prestigious university then they assume you're smart and will be more likely to give you a mentally challenging job.

#15 2014-05-07 12:46:51

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Is there no sarcasm in it, then?

#16 2014-05-07 12:49:38

ShivamS

It is completely true.

#17 2014-05-07 21:27:57

bobbym
bumpkin

It might also enrich your life by fattening your wallet.

#18 2014-05-07 23:37:07

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Why will it flatten my wallet?

#19 2014-05-07 23:51:00

ShivamS

You get a better job...

#20 2014-05-07 23:56:11

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I do not understand. Does flattening the wallet mean loosing money or not?

#21 2014-05-08 00:25:12

bobbym
bumpkin

Where does that l come from?

#22 2014-05-08 01:14:47

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What l?

#23 2014-05-08 01:26:24

bobbym
bumpkin

It might also enrich your life by fattening your wallet.

#24 2014-05-08 02:01:45

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

The mighty administrator has silent edit powers. He has removed the l, which I cannot prove.

Facepalm.

#25 2014-05-08 02:04:41

bobbym
bumpkin

You can not prove it because it never happened. I did not edit that post at all.

Board footer