Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-06 15:07:40

jellybeans

Hello like-minded people!

I joined this forum because it is the only one--as far as I know--that incorporates conversation but also helps you with your math problems. It seems to welcome beginners like me. In any case, let me now formally introduce myself. My name is Stephanie. I'm 16 and in 11th grade.I like mornings. I like bicycle rides. I have spent most of my lifetime sitting down and daydreaming in desks of all shapes and sizes and doing nothing else. I am curious to find out the highest math I am capable of doing in my lifetime. I would like to pursue math because math is pretty much the basis of everything. If you look deep enough, you will find math in everything and I would love to have that ability. I would love to dwell as deep as possible and always have some thoughts with me that can entertain me.Why do you like math?

#2 2014-05-06 15:25:40

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Hello like-minded people!

Hi;

Welcome to the forum. I like bikes too, a great way to travel.

I am curious to find out the highest math I am capable of doing in my lifetime.

Yes, but how will you know when you attain that precise point, the pinnacle of understanding?

Why do you like math

Math is like loving someone exotic and far away. Someone that does not even know you exist. It does not get any better than that.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2014-05-06 16:31:10

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi jellybeans,

Welcome to the forum!

Why do you like math?

Because it is the best form of logic!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2014-05-06 18:46:19

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I do not know why, I just love it.

Welcome to the forum;

I am Agnishom. What is your favorite color?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#5 2014-05-06 19:29:56

Bob
Administrator

hi Stephanie

Welcome to the forum.

Why do I like maths?

It's part of a larger desire to understand things.  When I got my first bike (second hand) the first thing I did with it was to take it apart to find out how all the bits worked.  My Dad went mad as he thought I'd wasted his money.  But I showed him it was not, by putting it all back together, adjusting everything properly, and riding it away!  And I like to understand eclipses, why sunflowers have a spiralling seed-head, how computers work, why Pythagoras' theorem is true, ...............................

Morning isn't my favourite time because I don't properly wake up until after 10am.  sleep  As it's only 8.30 here in the UK,  all I have just written may be a load of rubbish.  Hhhhm.  Does that include the last sentence?  smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#6 2014-05-06 23:24:06

ShivamS

Welcome to the forum!

You are correct in thinking that this is the only forum which provides mathematical (and scientific) help alongside a social aspect. Many other forums have a separate section for socializing, but even those are heavily moderated (I do not mean that this forum is not secure, it is. It just does not have ridiculous rules).

Board footer