Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-04-03 16:25:01

ElainaVW

Re: Urgent -Discrete Math problems (Graph)

Diagonalizing, and its related problem of finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, is a major subject of research for Numerical mathematics. For 5 dimensions or higher, it can only be done by iterative methods.

And what is wrong with iterative methods? Do you know that you can diagonalize  an 8 by 8 when it is possible even with floating point numbers?  [comment removed]

#27 2014-04-03 20:10:56

Bob
Administrator

Stefy wrote:

bob bundy wrote:

the incident matrix has exactly two ones and 6 zeros in each column.

Why is that?

If I have understood this correctly an incidence matrix has n rows for the n vertices, and m columns for the lines.

Thus, if a line, L1, joins points 1 and 2, the incidence matrix will have a 1 in position (1,1) and another 1 in position (1,2).  The rest of the first column will have zeros.  As every line has two endpoints (you won't let me have loops) then every column has two 1s and the rest of the column has zeros.

So I is such a matrix.  And I'm using A to represent the adjacency matrix.  If point x is adjacent to point y, then point y is adjacent to point x; hence A is symmetric.

If that definition of similar is the one to use, then we want

for some invertible matrix P.

I thought this:

My 'hot favourite' solution turns out to be an I with no inverse, sad , so back to the drawing  board.  swear

Maybe the OP has more information that would help, such as a few theorems leading up to this question.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#28 2014-04-14 02:16:52

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

fairy_tales.png

Last edited by Agnishom (2014-04-14 02:17:31)

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#29 2014-04-15 05:50:30

Bob
Administrator

hi Agnishom,

That about sums it up.  Mom didn't mumble anything about graph theory did she?  smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#30 2014-04-15 14:55:15

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

But she talked about eigenvectors.

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Board footer