Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-05 03:01:40

PatternMan

Can anyone here do IMO problems?

If so how did you get so good? I checked some out and I'm lost with where to start lol. I'll leave them out for a long time. I'm going to go through the school curriculum, then some harder books and AMC questions, then eventually try them.

"School conditions you to reject your own judgement and experiences. The facts are in the textbook. Memorize and follow the rules. What they don't tell you is the people that discovered the facts and wrote the textbooks are people like you and me."

#2 2014-04-05 04:04:58

ShivamS

Re: Can anyone here do IMO problems?

Assuming you mean the International Mathematics Olympiad, obviously you should start of by learning the material for it, which is algebra II, combinatorics, number theory and precalculus (elementary functions). You can use calculus on them, but they are designed to be able to be solved without using calculus. After that, i suggest you do as many challenging problems as you can find. That's basically what I did, and now I am in a position to solve most IMO problems with ease. Just remember that knowing the prerequisite material is not enough - you need to have problem solving skills, creativity and ingenuity - all of which comes by solving difficult problems.

#3 2014-04-05 04:07:19

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What is Algebra II?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#4 2014-04-05 04:09:42

ShivamS

We make up lots of terms here in North America. It's http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/index-2.html plus quite a bit more. Basically grade 9 and 10 CBSE (and some parts of 11 and 12). Most of 11 and 12 in CBSE is precalculus.

#5 2014-04-05 04:17:18

bobbym
bumpkin

A couple of people here can.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#6 2014-04-05 04:20:39

PatternMan

ShivamS wrote:

Assuming you mean the International Mathematics Olympiad, obviously you should start of by learning the material for it, which is algebra II, combinatorics, number theory and precalculus (elementary functions). You can use calculus on them, but they are designed to be able to be solved without using calculus. After that, i suggest you do as many challenging problems as you can find. That's basically what I did, and now I am in a position to solve most IMO problems with ease. Just remember that knowing the prerequisite material is not enough - you need to have problem solving skills, creativity and ingenuity - all of which comes by solving difficult problems.

That sounds impressive that you can do most of them with ease. Did you ever do them before going to college/university?

"School conditions you to reject your own judgement and experiences. The facts are in the textbook. Memorize and follow the rules. What they don't tell you is the people that discovered the facts and wrote the textbooks are people like you and me."

#7 2014-04-05 04:20:42

ShivamS

Just remember, you can work very hard and become one of the kids who wins all the trophies, bit sooner or later the trophies will be in the attic. However, the problem-solving skills, the love of mathematics, and the friendships forged with peers with similar interests will remain and enable you to apply the skills you have developed through mathematics to a variety of fields in college and then later in the professional world.

#8 2014-04-05 04:24:12

ShivamS

Algebra II is solving equations, complex numbers, quadratics, conics, polynomial division, polynomial roots, factoring multibariable polynomials, induction/identities, sequences and series, inequalities, radicals, special functions, functional equations, exponents, logarithms and more. Precalculus is advanced functions, different functions (quadratics, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric etc), trigonometry, vectors, matrices. Of course, both lists are non-exhaustive and cover significantly more then what I mentioned.

Patternman, I did so quite a few of them before going to university.

#9 2014-04-05 17:40:37

Nehushtan

The best site to visit if you’re interested in IMO, IMHO, is this one: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/

Their forum: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/index.php?

Last edited by Nehushtan (2014-04-05 17:41:12)

240 books currently added on Goodreads

Board footer