Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-07 19:21:07

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Tennis ball puzzle

--------------  ---------------  ---------------
|                  | |                   | |                   |
|                  | |                   | |                   |
| YELLOW      | |    WHITE      |  |       WHITE   |
| TENNIS       | |    TENNIS     |  |   & YELLOW  |
|  BALLS        | |    BALLS       |  |      TENNIS  |
|                  | |                   |  |       BALLS   |
|                  | |                   |  |                  |
--------------  ---------------   ---------------

The other day Grand Slam Cooper, proprietor of the Hit & Miss Sport Shop, was checking out a new shipment of tennis balls when he noticed that each of the three crates was mislabelled. Being a puzzler of great renown he came up with a problem that has stumped everyone so far. it goes like this : Take one tennis ball out of any of the three crates without looking into the crate or into any of the other crates. With only the color of the one tennis ball to guide you, correctly label each of the crates.

See if you can net the answer in ten minutes. No overtime permitted.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#2 2006-03-07 19:58:28

fgarb

Re: Tennis ball puzzle

#3 2006-03-07 20:10:12

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Excellent, fgarb! You are correct! Your solution has been deleted to leave the question open to others!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2006-03-08 04:16:24

mathsyperson

But, isn't that the whole point of hide tags? If people don't want to know the answer, they don't read it accidentally. You didn't need to delete it. Ah well.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#5 2006-03-08 04:33:23

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Excellent, mathsyperson! up
I had never deleted an answer before, this time, I was just being too cautious.
I agree, you're correct!

Board footer