Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-03-20 01:50:30

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 105,307

Re: Happy Pi Day!

I like the constant 3 + (1/5) much better.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess.

Offline

#27 2014-03-20 21:21:22

L'Hopital
Member
Registered: 2014-03-07
Posts: 17

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Agnishom wrote:

Why is pi day wrong? mad

it isn't. however, my maths teacher's birthday is on pi day, so i must remove her bragging rights somehow. joking aside, i believe that we should us tau for angles and pi for areas.
kiss

Last edited by L'Hopital (2014-03-20 21:23:06)


Churchill (drunk): You're ugly, woman!
Woman (horrified): You're drunk!
Churchill: Yes, but in the morning I shall be sober...

Offline

#28 2014-03-20 21:22:51

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 23,914
Website

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Is she Einstein?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#29 2014-03-20 21:25:53

L'Hopital
Member
Registered: 2014-03-07
Posts: 17

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Agnishom wrote:

Is she Einstein?

no. far from it...


Churchill (drunk): You're ugly, woman!
Woman (horrified): You're drunk!
Churchill: Yes, but in the morning I shall be sober...

Offline

#30 2014-03-21 01:35:24

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 105,307

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Is she Bohr?


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess.

Offline

#31 2014-03-21 07:35:32

ShivamS
Member
Registered: 2011-02-07
Posts: 3,648

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Agnishom wrote:

Why is pi day wrong? mad

Tau is the name given to a constant which is twice pi, I think.

Last edited by ShivamS (2014-03-21 11:34:54)

Offline

#32 2014-03-21 10:32:31

eigenguy
Member
Registered: 2014-03-18
Posts: 78

Re: Happy Pi Day!

(I am amazed that list of useful symbols at the top of the page doesn't include pi!)

tau = 2 pi, the measure of a full circle. There are those who argue that tau would be a better choice than pi, but I haven't found that their arguments hold much water. For every calculation it simplifies, it makes another more complex.


"Having thus refreshed ourselves in the oasis of a proof, we now turn again into the desert of definitions." - Bröcker & Jänich

Offline

#33 2014-03-21 20:58:03

L'Hopital
Member
Registered: 2014-03-07
Posts: 17

Re: Happy Pi Day!

eigenguy wrote:

(I am amazed that list of useful symbols at the top of the page doesn't include pi!)

tau = 2 pi, the measure of a full circle. There are those who argue that tau would be a better choice than pi, but I haven't found that their arguments hold much water. For every calculation it simplifies, it makes another more complex.

exactly! hence my suggestion of a dual system, or at least using tau for angles.


Churchill (drunk): You're ugly, woman!
Woman (horrified): You're drunk!
Churchill: Yes, but in the morning I shall be sober...

Offline

#34 2015-03-13 17:16:59

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 23,914
Website

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Happy Pi Day


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#35 2015-03-13 17:31:24

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 105,307

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Happy

day!


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess.

Offline

#36 2015-03-13 22:38:20

Olinguito
Member
Registered: 2014-08-12
Posts: 648

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Happy birthday to this chap!

  • 240px-Albert_Einstein_Head.jpg


Bassaricyon neblina

Offline

#37 2016-03-14 05:45:28

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 23,914
Website

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Happy pi Day!


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#38 2016-03-14 10:35:01

Monox D. I-Fly
Member
Registered: 2015-12-02
Posts: 595

Re: Happy Pi Day!

I tried to say "happy pi day" to my former crush via Facebook chat and she kept answering with uploading memes.

Me: "Happy π day..."
Her: ("one does not simply" meme) "One does not simply remember pi day"
Me: "I do 8| "
Her: (lame joke eel meme) "Why do people get excited about pi day? Who knows, it's completely irrational"
Me: "But... Golden Ratio is also irrational... hmm "
Her: (Stoner Stanley meme) "If today was really 'pi' day, it would never end"
Me: "Toilet humor?"
Her: ("Meh" hand Facebook sticker)
Her: (peeking cat) "Don't mind me. please, do continue..."
Me: "Sorry, I am going to π..."
Her: (grumpy cat meme) "Yikes. I almost smiled."
Me: "That suits you well... -_- "
Her: (Vladimir Putin) "Thanks for Putin up with me"
Me: "........"
Her: (Jackie Chan rageface)
Me: "With this I show a white cloth as a sign of surrender"
Her: (troll rageface) "You mad, bro?"
Her: (bald man whose face looks like Tintin pointing at me) "Guess who can't keep up"
Me: "Sis Cal......!!!!!! >.< " (that's my adorable name for her)
Her: (math Wonka meme) "Problem is, I lose interest... very quickly"
Me: "Yeah yeah... I know that..."
Her: (someone with a hat and glasses shouting) "Am I right? Or am I right?"
Me: "OR"
Her: (grumpy cat meme) "Hahaha. No."
Me: "Grumpy cat represents you really well."
Her: (NO rageface) "NO"
Me: "Yes. Someone cute who is hard.to.smile."
Her: ("no bear" meme) "How about no"
Me: "And a bear suits you the most."
Her: (someone shouting) "Don't call me fat! I already know I'm fat!"
Me: "Not just that, but that bear is big, black, yet strong and cute... Just like you..."
Her: (Dwayne meme) "False"
Her: (Someone bald and black holding a mic and shows a palm) "No. I'm not good enough"
Me: "Which parts are false? I mentioned 4 factors there... big_smile "
Her: (grumpy cat meme) "I am not cute. Stop thinking I'm a feet teddy bear."
Her: ("I don't always" meme) "I don't always try to understand women. But when I do, it terrifies and confuses me"
Me: "Nah, you are a cute girl..."
Her: (a girl who seems giving up conversations) "Yeah, sure. If you say so."

Offline

#39 2016-03-15 04:55:49

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 23,914
Website

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Wow, sounds like a nice girl


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#40 2016-03-15 05:31:43

Monox D. I-Fly
Member
Registered: 2015-12-02
Posts: 595

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Agnishom wrote:

Wow, sounds like a nice girl

Is that sarcasm?

Offline

#41 2016-03-15 05:33:32

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 23,914
Website

Re: Happy Pi Day!

No..


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#42 2016-03-15 05:45:50

Monox D. I-Fly
Member
Registered: 2015-12-02
Posts: 595

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Really? Then how do you conclude that she is a nice girl?

Offline

#43 2016-03-15 06:01:35

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 23,914
Website

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Well, she is at least cute


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#44 2016-03-15 11:13:04

Monox D. I-Fly
Member
Registered: 2015-12-02
Posts: 595

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Agnishom wrote:

Well, she is at least cute

Actually, people often call her ugly, she is fat and black.

Offline

#45 2016-03-15 13:36:15

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 23,914
Website

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Silly people


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#46 2016-03-15 13:44:07

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 105,307

Re: Happy Pi Day!

mammym's favorite saying was...

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess.

Offline

#47 2016-03-15 14:24:45

Monox D. I-Fly
Member
Registered: 2015-12-02
Posts: 595

Re: Happy Pi Day!

Agnishom wrote:

Silly people

Well, one of the reasons I find her attractive was because in my country it's rare to see a big and black woman who is cute.

Offline

#48 2016-03-16 01:59:09

Agnishom
Real Member
From: Riemann Sphere
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 23,914
Website

Re: Happy Pi Day!

I think it is good enough that you find her attractive, why care what other people think?

@bobbym, what?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline

#49 2016-03-16 02:18:47

Monox D. I-Fly
Member
Registered: 2015-12-02
Posts: 595

Re: Happy Pi Day!

I also don't know what does bobbym's saying have to do with this.

Offline

#50 2016-03-16 17:44:03

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 105,307

Re: Happy Pi Day!

It means name calling can only hurt you if you let it.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB