Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2014-02-09 19:23:31

thedarktiger

sort of power of a point

Let \overline{PA} and \overline{PC} be tangents from P to a circle. Let B and D be points on the circle such that B, D, and P are collinear. Prove that AB \cdot CD = BC \cdot DA.

This is driving me CRAZY and the moment. mad
several swearing smileys should make me feel better. swearswearswear

Batman shows Superman his new phone. Batman-"Alfred, whats the temperature in London?"
Alfred-"Just a second, sir." Alfred turns on his iPhone."Siri, whats the temperature in London?"
Siri - "Six centigrade." Alfred-"Six centigrade sir." Batman-"See?"

#2 2014-02-09 21:53:50

bob bundy

Re: sort of power of a point

HI thedarktiger,

I know the feeling.  I still have some problems posted over a year ago on my 'to-do' list.  I remain optimistic about them.

EVEN LATER EDIT:

I thought this was going to come out easily; but it hasn't.  Nevertheless I think the approach is the right one ... I've just got in a muddle with my similar triangles.

Your problem is a little like a theorem about intersecting chords so I've used a similar method.  I haven't used the tangents at all; whoops!I haven't changed my mind about this.  If you pick any two points (not diametrically opposite) you can construct tangents that will intersect at P.  As P doesn't feature in the required equation, I cannot see why you cannot treat P as any point just to determine B and C.  So all the 'action' should be able to take place inside the circle.  As I type this, I'm already thinking I'm wrong so maybe I'll have a new approach soon smile )

I have now explored what happens if P isn't as specified and the property fails to hold.  Conclusion: what I wrote earlier is wrong so I shall delete it and go back to the drawing board.

Bob

Uploaded Images
View Image: thedarktiger8.gif      

Last edited by bob bundy (2014-02-09 22:41:18)

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#3 2014-02-10 08:00:50

bob bundy

hi,

It has driven me crazy too.  I have drawn and re-drawn the diagram with varied emphasis and called angles x, y and z and then found every other angle in terms of these.  I have experimented with similar triangles until my head feels like bursting.  And still no joy.  sad

With my geometry program I have verified that it is, indeed, true.  But I am at a loss as to how to prove it.

Very sorry.  Maybe tomorrow ..........

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#4 2014-02-10 16:52:53

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi guys,

- look at your own responsibility smile

Last edited by anonimnystefy (2014-02-10 16:56:04)

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#5 2014-02-10 21:25:15

thedarktiger

Thanks for the anwser, anonimnystefy! I think my head has already burst. That problem was plain evil.
I'm sure anybody named bob will agree. aaaaaaggggghhhhhh.

Batman shows Superman his new phone. Batman-"Alfred, whats the temperature in London?"
Alfred-"Just a second, sir." Alfred turns on his iPhone."Siri, whats the temperature in London?"

#6 2014-02-11 01:19:39

anonimnystefy
Real Member

You're welcome! smile

The problem is quite tricky!

“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#7 2014-02-11 01:29:19

bob bundy

hi Stefy,

Thanks for putting me out of my misery.  I'll be able to sleep now. sleep

Bob

#8 2014-02-11 14:08:22

anonimnystefy
Real Member

You're welcome, but I sure am hoping you are using that as a figure of speech only. smile

#9 2014-02-11 19:40:50

thedarktiger

Yup. don't want a math problem to do THAT. big_smile

Board footer