Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-26 20:28:43

thedarktiger

Intersecting circles

Circles S and T have radii 1, and intersect at A and B. The distance between their centers is \sqrt{2}.

Let P be a point on major arc AB of circle S, and let \overline{PA} and \overline{PB} intersect circle T again at C and D, respectively. Show that \overline{CD} is a diameter of circle T.

this has me stumped. I found that minor arc AB = arc CD/2 (CD opposite AB) but this doesent help much
thanks a lot I really want to see how to do this one!

Good. You can read.

#2 2014-01-26 23:12:18

Bob
Administrator

Re: Intersecting circles

hi thedarktiger

In my diagram, I've called the centres S and T.

I think this hinges on the fact ST = root 2

We already know that AT and BT are 1, so by the inverse of Pythagoras, ATB = 90

If you call angle CAT = x and TBD = y, you can get all the other angles in the diagram in terms of x and y.  (Don't forget for example that triangle CAT is isosceles.)

The aim is to show that angle CAD = 90, because then CD is a diameter by the 'angle subtended by an arc at the edge is half that at the centre' theorem. 

LATER EDIT:  Hmmm.  That should have worked but I'm still chasing angles round the diagram at the moment.  I'll post again when I get there.  smile

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2014-01-26 23:37:51)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2014-01-27 00:16:16

Bob
Administrator

hi again.

Done!  But not like I said, so I'll start again.

Same diagram and x and y as before.

Join AB

As ASB = 90 => APB = 45

Find PAT and PBT in terms of x and y and use the angle sum of the quadrilateral PATB to get an expression for x + y.

(Note.  The property continues to hold as P is moved about and x and y change individually, but their sum stays constant.)

Now calculate angle CTD in terms of x and y and using the above expression eliminate both x and y.

If you're left with 180, then CD is a diameter.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2014-01-27 20:34:00

thedarktiger

Thanks bob bundy! Sorry I couldn't reply right away, because my family moved to Australia
a month ago and the time difference is 8 hours I was sleeping. big_smile
Just one thing... could you explain why ASB = 90? It seems the angle would change as the circles came closer, right?

Oh I got it because they are both radii and ab=sqrt(2) they have to be perpendicular.
thank you bob Ive got it!
by the way, check out the oatmeal comics. He has some very funny comics on the Bob cats.

Good. You can read.

Board footer