Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-11-14 05:27:13

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

I am definately not him.

He sounds like you.

That is because he gave me the record of this conversation in a language which is different from the one I am posting in. Unfortunately, Whenever I regenerate some text, I leave behind some watermark that points to me.
Another point is that because him and I both are geeks, he's told the story to me rather than some other random fellow


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

#27 2013-11-14 05:32:12

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 90,655

Re: Interesting Conversation

I believe you when you say you are not him.

Another point is that because him and I both are geeks, he's told the story to me rather than some other random fellow

But I am correct in assuming there is some similarity. Since you have more insight into his mind, what do you think the answer is?


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Online

#28 2013-11-14 05:33:01

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

The answer is 42 but what is the question?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

#29 2013-11-14 05:37:34

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 90,655

Re: Interesting Conversation

I prefer 24 because it is 4!. The coolest symbol in mathematics is the factorial.

Since the nerd is acting upon a specious assumption it is not surprising that he came to a false conclusion, GIGO.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Online

#30 2013-11-14 05:41:28

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

GIGO?

what do you think the answer is?

What is the question?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

#31 2013-11-14 05:50:07

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 90,655

Re: Interesting Conversation

You do not know what GIGO is?


Hmmm, what is the question? What is the answer? Let us go back to post #1. What is required there?


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Online

#32 2013-11-14 05:51:51

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

If you're asking why I posted post #1 then I posted it because the convo was interesting.

What is GIGO?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

#33 2013-11-14 05:53:26

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 90,655

Re: Interesting Conversation

It is an apparently obsolete computer term. It is an acronym for Garbage In Garbage Out. It was used to illustrate that if your data was poor your answer would also be poor.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Online

#34 2013-11-14 05:59:05

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

Once again, what is the question the answer to which you're trying to find out?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

#35 2013-11-14 06:02:33

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 90,655

Re: Interesting Conversation

You are asking how the science teacher feels?


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Online

#36 2013-11-14 07:36:09

anonimnystefy
Real Member
From: The Foundation
Registered: 2011-05-23
Posts: 15,658

Re: Interesting Conversation

bobbym wrote:

Reductio ad Hitlerum? I am not familiar with that term.

I did not create the term. Check Wiki.

Reductio ad Hitlerum is the argument that if Hitler did something, then that something is necessarily bad.


“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

Online

#37 2013-11-14 12:57:06

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

So whose thinking is Reductio ad Hitlerum? Mine or theirs?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

#38 2013-11-14 13:22:07

anonimnystefy
Real Member
From: The Foundation
Registered: 2011-05-23
Posts: 15,658

Re: Interesting Conversation

Your thinking about theirs.


“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

Online

#39 2013-11-14 13:31:09

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

It is not true. I did not say that their idea is bad  only because they made it


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

#40 2013-11-14 13:36:15

anonimnystefy
Real Member
From: The Foundation
Registered: 2011-05-23
Posts: 15,658

Re: Interesting Conversation

Agnishom wrote:
bobbym wrote:

And how does it effect our daily life because we are right or wrong about Big Bang?

It doesn't.

bobbym wrote:

Why not? Do we really know?

We really do not know but the people who gave those theories long ago were power greedy and wanted to manipulate the people because they were stupid. Todays theories may not be correct but are definitely better because we know why they have come.

Are you sure?


“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

Online

#41 2013-11-14 13:49:34

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

Mostly yes.


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

#42 2013-11-14 20:46:20

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 90,655

Re: Interesting Conversation

But we are getting away from the question even if we do not know what it is.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Online

#43 2013-11-14 23:08:07

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

bobbym wrote:

But we are getting away from the question even if we do not know what it is.

Well, try to read it like a short-story which is written by O Henry. Try to imagine yourself being the science teacher, try imagining yourself to be another student sitting beside this guy. Appreciate the imaginative skills and verbosity of the boy. Appreciate his idea of a scale to something. Do not try to discourage the boy because he said something wrong or is copying someone's works. Try to find some humor when the teacher thinks of it to be a musical scale. That conversation has been posted to be appreciated and rejoiced, not judged.

That was kind of a try to explain it


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

#44 2013-11-15 02:15:00

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 90,655

Re: Interesting Conversation

Hi Agnishom;

Once we have done that what next?


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Online

#45 2013-11-15 06:21:11

anonimnystefy
Real Member
From: The Foundation
Registered: 2011-05-23
Posts: 15,658

Re: Interesting Conversation

Agnishom wrote:
bobbym wrote:

But we are getting away from the question even if we do not know what it is.

Well, try to read it like a short-story which is written by O Henry. Try to imagine yourself being the science teacher, try imagining yourself to be another student sitting beside this guy. Appreciate the imaginative skills and verbosity of the boy. Appreciate his idea of a scale to something. Do not try to discourage the boy because he said something wrong or is copying someone's works. Try to find some humor when the teacher thinks of it to be a musical scale. That conversation has been posted to be appreciated and rejoiced, not judged.

That was kind of a try to explain it

Verbosity, shmerbosity. It's very overrated. It takes much more skill to explain something complicated in simple words.

Nobody is judging him. If he wants to express his ideas, he must be able to withstand constructive criticism of those who disagree.


“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

Online

#46 2013-11-15 06:30:53

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 90,655

Re: Interesting Conversation

Shmerbosity is overrated and it is also extinct. The last practitioner of it died last month. But verbosity is alive and well and not overrated, remember verbose and ribose sort of sound the same. Do they not?

Could be that the nerd wanted to confuse the teacher. The teacher refusing to be confused attempted to confuse the nerd. This appears to have worked because the nerd suddenly forgot his own name, a sure sign of confusion.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Online

#47 2013-11-15 15:21:29

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

Facepalm.

Once we have done that what next?

bobbym wrote:

It is entirely up to you. But since you said, I would like you to concentrate in math a little more.


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

#48 2013-11-15 16:46:34

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 90,655

Re: Interesting Conversation

That is a DGQ! Where did you get it?


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Online

#49 2013-11-15 17:11:44

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

DGQ?

darn Good Question? But it wasn't a question


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

#50 2013-11-15 17:14:20

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,884
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

stefy wrote:

Nobody is judging him. If he wants to express his ideas, he must be able to withstand constructive criticism of those who disagree.

The boy is not putting his emphasis on the last statement. He's emphasising on the fact that a scale is necessary


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB