Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-25 03:51:13

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Keep Calm and Love the Penguin

Anatomy of a well-intentioned Linux Troll

Linux is not Windows

Last edited by Agnishom (2013-10-25 03:52:45)

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#2 2013-10-25 04:22:27

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Keep Calm and Love the Penguin

Hi;

Like linux is a small OS with big capabilities many linux users like those article writers have a small amount of knowledge but very big mouths.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2013-10-25 19:14:11

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

That person was correct.

He's a English teacher, and he does not claim to be a hi-fi programmer or webmaster or engineer. He uses Linux for his basic six. He does not have much knowledge about computers but he is not claiming that he has. He's only telling that Linux is not tough but different.

Like linux is a small OS

It is hardly an OS, it is a set of kernels

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#4 2013-10-25 22:22:30

bobbym
bumpkin

When I was first getting interested in linux I noticed a lot of people like him on linux forums. Instead of addressing linux shortcomings their attitude was it is the users fault. The fact is, linux now has a lot of gui driven programs with menus just like Windows does. It also supports through wine much Windows software.

#5 2013-10-25 22:37:15

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Which part of his article is incorrect?

#6 2013-10-25 22:47:45

bobbym
bumpkin

Nothing is incorrect but it is a mass of prejudices. Let's look at the first paragraph.

Someone with a lot of Windows experience--an insane amount of Windows experience--who knows a lot about programming, web developing, administering servers, DOS commands, etc. hears about Linux from some friends at work.

If there was someone like that why should they have any problems at all with linux? A person interested in only the big six could run any OS and be happy.

#7 2013-10-25 23:25:41

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Did you know that I was that Windows person?

I thought I was very good at programming, web developing, administering servers, DOS commands, etc mainly because I have a better understanding of all those things than guys who are two-three years older than me and are learning Computer Science officially in our school. Besides, I am always the school level topper of the National Cyber Olympiad since last 7 years. Most importantly, I have been using computers since age 4. So, I thought I was good. But I was not

Then I got the idea that Linux is Cool from constant propaganda through a media known as the internet.

I tried to install Bharat Operating System Solutions (BOSS) Linux that came from a CD in our  school book and my CD/DVD drive had a problem and the installation hung while running a critical job like the partitioner or configuring the bootloader.

After an year, I thought of that again. But since now I had access to two seperate computers, I was braver (because I thought that I could use one in the absence of other).

I tried to run DSL which did not run on my system. Then I tried SliTaz, and the installer said if I wanted to install GRUB? I said yeah, because it said otherwise I had to install it by hand. It was a bootloader, but I did not know what a bootloader was. Because it selected the drive codes wrong, I could not boot back into Windows and I needed Windows because SliTaz did not enable me to connect to the web. Then, it could not work because I installed it on a filesystem it did not support. Then, I thought maybe to delete GRUB was the solution, so I deleted that folder. (I did not know what an MBR is) and thus booting back returned a GRUB error. I could not get any help from the net until I fiddled with the GRUB prompt for a while and then I was able to get back windows.

What does not kill you, makes you stronger

So, I got the courage to install Puppy which I did after breaking my GRUB 2-3 times.

Puppy worked nicely with me for around 2 months, frequently within which it X broke as a result of installation of a new window manager I was experimenting with.

Then, because it is not that supported and its PPM was bad, I installed Ubuntu, which is giving me the heat problem. (Setting up Ubuntu is way simpler, even the novice can do it)

Unfortunately, I am still under the impression that Linux is cool

By the way, I am not a basic six person. If I were then I would have been happy with Puppy. Puppy works nicely as long as you do not want to install foreign things in it.

One more thing that inspired me to install Linux is that my Windows has become very very very slow. My computer having hi-fi specs performs unimaginably lower than a computer having much lower specs than mine. Maybe it is because of some malware or something but I do not know how to remove it. No anti-virus, defragmentor, toolkits, etc worked. (Every new one of them I install, hoping to make it better, makes it even slower). My hard disc access rate seems to very low, my 64 bit cpu runs on a 32 bit windows, my windows memory card driver does not work are some of my other Windows Problems.
I really want to reinstall windows, but:
i) I do not remember how I set up the path for python
ii) I do not remember how I got heroku toolbelt and Google AppEngine Working.
iii) I do not know how to take a backup of my iTunes Library. Besides, my iTunes Library holds items which I cannot locate right now any more.
iv) I will have to resetup my speech synthesiser (not the one which is integrated with Windows).
and more

Last edited by Agnishom (2013-10-25 23:39:17)

#8 2013-10-25 23:59:33

bobbym
bumpkin

Hmmm, you have all the typical problems I had too when I was fiddling with Linux and Windows. I found that all I ever did was fiddle and I never got the chance to do any work. I was always fixing, fixing, fixing.

You say you want to reinstall Windows but do not remember how to set up a few programs. These seem like big problems but the real problem is which OS to choose and then stick with it. It is much better to be with the OS you like and are an expert at then to be with one that some guys on a forum like.

So, which OS do you prefer?

#9 2013-10-26 00:26:50

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

The penguin, of course. I always boot up to the penguin when I have got to do something quickly.
I also need to dual boot Windows because occassionaly there will be a few things I have to do which will require Windows.

you have all the typical problems I had too when I was fiddling with Linux and Windows.

No. The problems with the Super Slow Windows began atleast 6 months before I thought of any Linux.

then to be with one that some guys on a forum like.

*than
You got it wrong. Because I like the OS, I am on that forum. Not the other way round.

Work

I'm not a professional that I'll have some work. When my school gives me something to do, I can always do it. Even if I cannot, it is never my OS's fault. If I wish to do something like playing a game, or reading a book, I can always do it.

What work do you want me to do?

#10 2013-10-26 00:34:16

bobbym
bumpkin

What work do you want me to do?

That is totally your decision but since you asked I would like to see you concentrate more on math.

No. The problems with the Super Slow Windows began atleast 6 months before I thought of any Linux.

Those could possibly be handled without a reinstall but that is not what I meant. Working with a single OS when you are more than a big six guy is a big, big job. Working with two will just about use all your time and effort.

I also need to dual boot Windows because occassionaly there will be a few things I have to do which will require Windows.

If linux will not handle all the tasks and I could not get it too then why keep it around?

#11 2013-10-26 00:38:44

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

If linux will not handle all the tasks and I could not get it too then why keep it around?

Because, I'll mostly use it. What couldn't you get?

#12 2013-10-26 00:46:43

bobbym
bumpkin

The lack of the software that I wanted to run. Windows supports 10 times as much software.

#13 2013-10-26 00:51:47

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

For example?

#14 2013-10-26 00:59:26

bobbym
bumpkin

M and M and Derive, all the chess engines and of course ollydbg.

#15 2013-10-26 01:32:19

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What is dbg?

M is a good option. But that does not mean M is the only option. If I need a CAS, I will surely find one which runs on ubuntu

#16 2013-10-26 01:35:15

bobbym
bumpkin

The most powerful tool that anyone can ever use.

#17 2013-10-26 01:59:33

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Oh. that assembler?

#18 2013-10-26 02:05:10

bobbym
bumpkin

Nope, an assembler is for programmers. It is a disassembler! This is for reverse engineers.

#19 2013-10-26 02:06:36

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Hmm, I will look at it. Why does it mean that there is no disassembler for Linux?

#20 2013-10-26 02:10:00

bobbym
bumpkin

As far as I know we could not find a disassembler for any linux. There was one but it was never completed. That is what finally convinced me to to go with a hybrid XP.

#21 2013-10-26 02:17:16

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What about AsmDis?
You could run it on Wine

#22 2013-10-26 02:19:48

bobbym
bumpkin

That seems only to be for ELF files.

#23 2013-10-26 02:27:08

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What about EDB?

Why can't you run olydbg on Wine?

#24 2013-10-26 02:29:32

bobbym
bumpkin

A debugger is a very complicated program. It must run another program inside itself and monitor everything that program does. It would probably crash under wine. Also, it is for executables and dll's.

#25 2013-10-26 02:35:53

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

and http://www.codef00.com/projects ?

Board footer