Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-21 19:05:03

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Algebra - Introduction

I have made two pages to help introduce people to Algebra.

Imagine you don't know the subject (all the better if you actually don't!), and see if it is easy to understand.

All criticisms welcome ... (when I link it up on the main website there could be thousands of people visit it - so it should be easy and correct).

The pages are:

Introduction to Algebra
Introduction to Algebra - Multiplication

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2006-02-21 21:11:53

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Algebra - Introduction

Both the pages are simple and elgeant.
They are easily understandbale.
Operations such as Subtraction, Division with variables can also be explained.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2006-02-21 23:37:35

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Simple and elegant ... wow, nice words! Yes, I hope to add lots more as time permits.

More comments please!

Don't be shy jU, Tigeree and others ... I need you to read those pages and tell me if they make sense! smile

You will be helping lots of students the world over.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2006-02-22 10:54:01

irspow

MathsIsFun, they seem very accessible to me.  I could only comment on things to add, but you stated above that you plan on doing such anyway.  I would suggest that before you move to more complicated material in algebra, a little chat on order of operations would be critical.  We tend to follow those rules without thought at this point in our lives, but for those new to algebra it is paramount to know them.

Order of operations popped into my head while reading the pages because they weren't needed.  Anyway, I thought then that it would not be so apparent to a newcomer and also low on our natural list of things to explain. (Because we usually don't really think about it anymore.)

I am at an age where I have forgotten more than I remember, but I still pretend to know it all.

#5 2006-02-22 11:37:34

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Very good point - it is so natural to do addition first, I didn't explain it.

#6 2006-02-22 18:50:50

ryos

I also think they're well done.

While you're treating order of operations, a bit on the distributive property would also be beneficial to the multiplication page, since it's not readily apparent at first that if you multiply both sides by something, you have to do it to everything on both sides.

I remember having a tough time with the distributive property in 7th grade. Surprisingly, a simple, clear explanation of this concept was not available to me. It seemed like this mysterious thing with a fancy name instead of the simple, intuitive concept that it is.

El que pega primero pega dos veces.

#7 2006-02-22 20:17:25

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks ryos - great feedback.

#8 2006-02-27 19:33:41

krassi_holmz
Real Member

But I can't understand nothing-it's too complicated!
smile
smile

IPBLE:  Increasing Performance By Lowering Expectations.

#9 2006-02-27 19:34:44

krassi_holmz
Real Member

Justa joke, you know.
The both pages are cool

IPBLE:  Increasing Performance By Lowering Expectations.

Board footer