Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-22 08:00:57

mark 46

formulae for writing a letter s using 8 mm radius

I am trying to work out the figures to write the letter S using 8mm radiuses to form the letter, The size of the letter needs to be 15mm high, and 10 mm wide, Thanks

#2 2006-02-22 09:12:23

irspow

Re: formulae for writing a letter s using 8 mm radius

I'll bite.  Are the dimensions of this "S" chosen for a specific reason?  If they are, could the size of the radius be different.  The reason I ask is because 8mm radius curves do not match up well with the final dimensions you seek.  As it is, the ends of the s would curve very little from their maximum displacement.  In other words, using all of your stipulated conditions, I don't see a very good looking s emerging.

The other problem with this question is if you are looking for a function to draw this figure.  By definition a function can have only one specific value for each input value.  So this s as a f(x) would have to be comprised of three functions.

I'm sorry that I couldn't help, but there are too many restrictions for the curves and space that you are using to make a reasonable s in my opinion.  Maybe someone else can "see" another way to help you out.

I am at an age where I have forgotten more than I remember, but I still pretend to know it all.

#3 2006-02-22 09:20:35

John E. Franklin

I think you mean 8mm diameters or 4mm radii for the two curving parts of the S.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#4 2006-02-22 09:26:48

m ark46

John E. Franklin wrote:

I think you mean 8mm diameters or 4mm radii for the two curving parts of the S.

yes o/k can you  work out that one?

#5 2006-02-22 09:32:50

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Two 8mm Dia Circles in a 10×15 box

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2006-02-22 11:06:06

John E. Franklin

Do they have to mesh together really artistically??  On the 10mm wide, do you mean to spread the two circles apart by 2 mm, so we aren't talking about any white space on either side like fonts have when you say 10mm?  Do you want the center of the top to the left or to the right of the center of the bottom.  Can we use any straight line segments to improve the look in
the middle or at the ends??  Do you want equations, like algebra??  Do you want points of center plus angles where angle 0 is to the right, and angle sweeps counter clockwize like in trig?

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#7 2006-02-22 11:32:29

MARK46

John E. Franklin wrote:

Do they have to mesh together really artistically??  On the 10mm wide, do you mean to spread the two circles apart by 2 mm, so we aren't talking about any white space on either side like fonts have when you say 10mm?  Do you want the center of the top to the left or to the right of the center of the bottom.  Can we use any straight line segments to improve the look in
the middle or at the ends??  Do you want equations, like algebra??  Do you want points of center plus angles where angle 0 is to the right, and angle sweeps counter clockwize like in trig?

YES I DO WANT POINTS OF CENTER PLEASE

#8 2006-02-22 12:21:10

John E. Franklin

Make the vertical centers apart by a height difference of 7.
Make the horizontal centers apart by a width 2.
Put the top left of the bottom so it with look artistic.
In most programming x goes right and y goes down, so maybe choose
(4,4) for top and (6,11) for bottom.
If you want to make x go right and y go up like in graphing, then
make bottom center at (6,4) and
make the top center at (4,11).

igloo myrtilles fourmis

Board footer