Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-12 15:46:55

phrontister
Real Member

Alarming

I have an old battery-operated analogue/digital watch with mechanical analogue hands, a digital time display and a digital alarm. The button to change the digital time and alarm has gone kaphut and so I can't adjust them (but I can switch the alarm on and off via another button).

The digital time is 3 hours behind the actual time faithfully kept by the analogue, and the alarm time is permanently set to midnight (which is the default for both the alarm and the digital time). The alarm is set to 'Off', otherwise it would wake me at some unearthly hour in the morning...either when I'm in bed or asleep at the computer.

How can I get the alarm on the watch to sound at 10pm each day?

Last edited by phrontister (2013-09-13 02:34:57)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#2 2013-09-13 01:31:53

Nehushtan

Re: Alarming

phrontister wrote:

How can I get the alarm to sound at 10pm each day?

240 books currently added on Goodreads

#3 2013-09-13 03:16:32

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

3 looks intriguing

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#4 2013-09-13 03:38:54

Bob
Administrator

hi phrontister

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#5 2013-09-13 17:55:50

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bob,

Here's a pic of my old watch. The bottom-left button is the one that went kaphut, and as well as not being able to adjust the digital time and alarm I can no longer adjust day/date, nor use the stop watch or count-down timer. sad But the bezel and the electroluminescent display both work. smile

The analogue is good and accurate, though, and does what I need the watch for most. Can't bear to replace it until it dies completely...we've been together too long. >sniff<

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#6 2013-09-13 19:37:25

Bob
Administrator

hi phrontister,

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#7 2013-09-13 21:28:06

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bob,

#8 2013-09-13 22:42:54

Bob
Administrator

phrontister wrote:

according to my backwards down-under clock.

Your clocks go backwards as well as you being up-side-down!!!  Oh no!  That changes everything.  Hang on while I get a mirror.  smile

Bob

#9 2013-09-14 00:06:32

phrontister
Real Member

I have two such clocks. Took their pics just a few minutes ago while they weren't looking (they're camera-shy, like me), and I'll post them the right way up to help you out. Btw, just like normal clocks down here they go "kot-kit, kot-kit".

Not long till my theory proves right or wrong! smile

Update: Theory worked. Alarm went off at 10pm! smile

Last edited by phrontister (2013-09-14 00:41:17)

#10 2013-09-14 01:12:23

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Does time itself go backwards over there as well?

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#11 2013-09-15 05:15:33

Bob
Administrator

hi

I cannot be sure about time going backwards.  After all, if everything goes backwards how would you recognise this?

But I did notice two things when I went to New Zealand.  The Sun goes the wrong way across the sky and Orion is up-side-down.  hhmmm smile

Bob

#12 2013-09-15 05:50:55

anonimnystefy
Real Member

That is some evidence. Time going backwards could also explain phro seeing bobbym long time ago and remembering him.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#13 2013-09-15 11:34:20

phrontister
Real Member

This reminds me of the curious case of Benjamin Buttons, but I don't know of any cases similar to his. I have some close friends who live in the northern hemisphere, and we are all aging physiologically at the same rate.

#14 2013-09-15 15:22:34

bobbym
bumpkin

So is Benjamin. Saw him as Gerry Lane and he was huffing and puffing while them zoms were chasing him.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#15 2013-09-15 18:18:09

phrontister
Real Member

Haven't seen that one (not into horror movies at all).

#16 2013-09-15 21:23:17

anonimnystefy
Real Member

I think JBJ might be of the kind.

#17 2013-09-15 21:54:14

phrontister
Real Member

I've read nothing in the Jacksonville Business Journal about that.

#18 2013-09-15 22:17:13

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Jon Bon Jovi.

#19 2013-09-15 22:28:21

phrontister
Real Member

Yes, I've read nothing in the Jacksonville Business Journal about Jon Bon Jovi.

#20 2013-09-16 01:04:47

bobbym
bumpkin

Me either. How did the clock work?

#21 2013-09-16 11:21:07

phrontister
Real Member

You mean the 'down under' clocks? They're both cheap battery-operated (AA battery) quartz clocks I picked up at op shops, and the hands move anticlockwise.

The reverse movement is a little disconcerting at first, but the brain adjusts to it after a while and begins to interpret what it sees into the correct time without hesitation. After getting used to it, looking at a normal clock (or looking at the analogue time on my watch) means the brain needs to readjust to normal movement again...but it does that quicker than the other way.

#22 2013-09-16 14:00:03

bobbym
bumpkin

I use a big hourglass filled with sand. It never needs winding.

#23 2013-09-16 15:09:57

phrontister
Real Member

Doesn't that get a bit heavy on your wrist? What about time accuracy...or don't you move much?

My battery-operated clocks and watch don't need winding either. I guess the batteries have some sort of sand-in-hourglass mechanism, maybe activated by gravitational changes generated by movement of the earth around its axis.

The hourglass doflicky-thingies in the batteries would have to have a valve, I suppose, that reverses its open direction upon the chamber containing the sand having become empty.

The beauty with yours is that you can watch the movement of the sand for some soothing/sleep-inducing effect when you need it, but unfortunately with mine the battery casing hides that. I'd have to turn to aural effect for similar benefit...but the watch ticking is very faint and gets drowned out by the sound of moving dust particles. The clocks tick louder.

#24 2013-09-16 17:36:34

bobbym
bumpkin

Doesn't that get a bit heavy on your wrist? What about time accuracy...or don't you move much?

Of course not! You do not carry these around. They have wheels.

#25 2013-09-17 00:14:02

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

How do you view it? By bending over double, maybe? (see pic) That might be ok for someone of your age with its accompanying suppleness and agility, but what about someone older?

Here's a battery-operated wristwatch (pics below) with the following electronic features that may interest you:-
- animated hourglass (range: 1 minute to 3 hours) with sound and an accompanying waving Mother Rabbit display to indicate 'time's up';
- digital and analogue time with choice of 24-hour or AM/PM mode;
- date (year/month/day);
- screen that displays amusing animations;
- choice of blue or blue for boys.

Here's a video of an ad about the watch.

Last edited by phrontister (2013-09-18 01:23:17)

Board footer