Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-20 19:04:32

Amartyanil

Geometrical Progression

Hi;

There is Sukumar Ray's story on GP:

"Every place is the center of the universe. And every moment is the most important moment. And everything is the meaning of life." ~ Dan Harmon

#2 2013-08-20 19:45:41

Amartyanil

Re: Geometrical Progression

Once upon a time, there was a king. The king was rich but he did not want to give anything to the people. In that time, all the people are suffering from famine.

They came to the king's palace and said, "Your majesty, we are suffering from a famine. Please, give us such money."
The king replied, "Sorry! We have a very little money and we cannot give these money to you!"
The visitors escaped from the palace

Now a  clever sage came to the court and said, "I will stay here for some months. Today, you have to give me 5 paise, but on the next day, I will take its double."
The king said, "Of course you can take my money!"

A month has gone. The king sent his mathematician to  calculate how much money will be spent on the 30th day to pay the sage.
The mathematician came. He was panting. The king said, "Why are you panting?"
The mathematician replied, "The amount of money to spent has gone into about Rs. 5 lakhs(10^5)."
The king said, "The spending of money cannot reach at Rs. 5 lakhs. Are you mad!"
Then the king saw the expenditure log book and he fainted. When he returned into conseiousness, the sage said, "The people are suffering from famine and you are not helping them. You have to help them."
The king replied, "I am giving money to the people." The sage gave all the money that he wanted from the king.
The king summoned all the people who are suffering from famine and gave money to the people.

"Every place is the center of the universe. And every moment is the most important moment. And everything is the meaning of life." ~ Dan Harmon

#3 2013-08-21 07:17:03

bobbym
bumpkin

Sounds like the checker board story.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#4 2013-08-21 13:32:34

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What is it?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#5 2013-08-21 13:44:13

bobbym
bumpkin

I have to tell the story from memory because I was very young when this happened.

It was circa 800AD and some king of Persia was approached by a mathematician who agreed to do a job for the king but in exchange for payment he only asked for a very humble gift. He asked that the first square of a chessboard be paid by one grain of wheat. The second by 2, the third by 4 and so on. The king agreed and both walked away thinking what a dummy the other was.

When it became time to pay it quickly showed that the king needed an impossible amount of wheat to pay for all 64 squares.

The story does not have a happy ending. The king just had the mathematician beheaded instead of paying. So we see that the king was right, the guy was a dummy.

#6 2013-08-23 00:19:01

Amartyanil

What means "circa"?

You said that you are too young at that time? Do you lived at that time?

#7 2013-08-23 00:25:31

ShivamS

Haha, I doubt he meant that. He was just young when he heard the story.

#8 2013-08-23 01:01:28

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Amartyanil;

It is Latin ( means around or about ) and means approximately in English.

I was being funny. I was not really alive in those days.

#9 2013-08-28 16:14:20

Amartyanil

Hi bobbym;

Circa means year?

#10 2013-08-28 16:16:08

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

means around or about

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#11 2015-03-05 14:41:09

Amartyanil

Hi;

This story was written by an Indian poet and writer Sukumar Ray. He lived in West Bengal.

Board footer