Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-02 00:48:08

tina123

define histogram mathematically

How can we define histogram mathematically?
I need to define histogram in form of Equation. Can anyone please help me to do it,.
thanks

#2 2013-07-02 04:08:36

Bob
Administrator

Re: define histogram mathematically

hi Tina123

If you have numeric data collected over varying range sizes, (eg.  Number of calls to a switch board lasting 0-1min ; 1-2min ; 2-5min ; 5-10min etc) it would be misleading to use a bar chart because there would be a bias towards the larger ranges.

So a new frequency, called the relative frequency (or frequency density), is defined to unbias the figures:

Thus the area of each histogram bar is proportional to the recorded frequencies.

The histogram below shows varying range sizes rather well.

It comes from:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesi … rev3.shtml

If it would help I will make up another example to show the correct use of a histogram.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2013-07-03 21:20:35

tina123

Re: define histogram mathematically

Yes, I understand this .. thanks Bob..

bob bundy wrote:

hi Tina123

If you have numeric data collected over varying range sizes, (eg.  Number of calls to a switch board lasting 0-1min ; 1-2min ; 2-5min ; 5-10min etc) it would be misleading to use a bar chart because there would be a bias towards the larger ranges.

So a new frequency, called the relative frequency (or frequency density), is defined to unbias the figures:

Thus the area of each histogram bar is proportional to the recorded frequencies.

The histogram below shows varying range sizes rather well.

It comes from:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesi … rev3.shtml

If it would help I will make up another example to show the correct use of a histogram.

Bob

Board footer