Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2006-02-16 01:38:55

espeon
Real Member

A different puzzle but still fun.

In a forest there are 2000 trees. In the forest there are 6 types of trees;oak, willow, beech, apple, sneadin and the pear tree.The nearby town knew that and that there were more oak trees in the forest than the others-for eg:oak is 2 and the rest are 1,1,1,1,1-, the amount of all the other trees were all multiples of 2, 3 or 4.

With this information can you tell me how many willow trees there are in the forest.faint

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 2006-02-16 01:41:58

espeon
Real Member

Re: A different puzzle but still fun.

I don't know if there an aswer because I cannot seem to work it out. My dad who is a maths teacher asked me it this morning. I got A answer but I'm not sure if I got it right or not. I hope this is hard enough for you mathsy and irspow

Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 2006-02-17 08:34:07

irspow
Power Member

Sorry espeon, but I couldn't figure this one out.  Whenever I tried to solve it with the ratio that you had above, the answer was never an integer, so I must be doing something wrong.  I also wasn't sure if the ratio was wrong how the trees could be distinguished from the information given.

I am sure that someone smarter than I will take a stab.

#4 2006-02-17 19:57:30

espeon
Real Member

I'm really stuck on it too.But it must be correct if my dad asked me the question, hes a math teacher...Unless he was asking me a trick question...Must investigate...But this must be hard if YOU can't solve it.You're good at maths.

#5 2006-02-17 19:59:04

espeon
Real Member

Big mistake. You needed to find the amount of oak trees there are. Sorry!sad

Board footer