Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-13 01:58:20

espeon
Real Member

Another annoying puzzle which is really hard

One day while inspecting workers unloading grain from sveral boats on a rocky river bank, the manager decided to give a prize of £1000. The catch was to tell him how to measure an elephant using only an elephant, a scale which was used for weighing sacks of grain, sacks of grainand the boats.

How did one of the workers win the prize by only using what he/she was given?

This one is tricky...dunnodunnodunnorolleyes

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 2006-02-13 08:29:18

Zach

Re: Another annoying puzzle which is really hard

Put the elephant on a boat, see how far it sinks. Do the same with x number of sacks of grain till it's the exact same as the elephant. The elephant weighs as much as that pile of grain.

It works. Believe me. I've done it.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#3 2006-02-13 11:52:23

irspow

That seems like a lot of extra work Zach.  Before unloading a boat, mark the water line on the hull.  Next have the elephant get on the boat.  Unload sacks of grain until the water line mark reappears out of the water.  The number of sacks unloaded times the weight of one sack is equal to the weight of the elephant.

This way you don't waste any time, get your job done, and win the prize.  I guess espeon mentioned the scale to try to throw people off as it isn't needed.

I am at an age where I have forgotten more than I remember, but I still pretend to know it all.

#4 2006-02-13 21:06:54

espeon
Real Member

Zach:wrong but close
irspow:completely correct. Right about the scale too.

Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 2006-02-14 06:19:22

Zach

Actually, my way achieved the desired answer, but it didn't go through irspow's method.

Specifications for the easiest way wasn't made.

I am right.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#6 2006-02-15 02:24:16

espeon
Real Member

I meant wrong as in I don't think that you could weigh an elephant unless it was a toy on. Let me reword that sentence.Zach: I doubt that you could weigh an elephant but you got it right.Sorry for that confusion.

Board footer