Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-16 03:23:38

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Heron's formula without Trig

I really think this is cool.

Construction:
ΔABC with BC = a; AC = b, AB = c is constructed and AD is drawn from A such that it intersects BC at D in right angles. Now, let us take BD = d & DC = a - d and AD = h

Proof:
In ΔABD, d[sup]2[/sup] + h[sup]2[/sup] = c[sup]2[/sup]
⇒ h[sup]2[/sup] = (c + d) (c - d) = c[sup]2[/sup] - d[sup]2[/sup]                                          .... (i)
In ΔACD, (a-d)[sup]2[/sup] + h[sup]2[/sup] = b[sup]2[/sup]
⇒ (a² - 2ad + d²) + (c² - d²) = b² [from (i)]

....(ii)

Now, we know that the Area of Triangle(T) =

From (i) & (ii),

Substituting  ½(a+ b+ c) with s,

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#2 2013-06-16 03:47:54

Bob
Administrator

Re: Heron's formula without Trig

Arhhh! the complete version.  I hoped that was coming.

Even greater proof!  smile  smile

Bob

ps.  You now seem to have this twice.  Now maybe it deserves to be here twice .... but,  ... I can delete the other thread if you wish.  smile

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2013-06-16 04:11:16

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Yes. Please delete the other thread. Actually, I had hit the Submit button instead of the Preview...

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#4 2013-06-16 04:17:10

{7/3}

I know this proof,this proof is used in my text book.So can anyone post the proof using trig

There are 10 kinds of people in the world,people who understand binary and people who don't.

#5 2013-06-16 04:26:14

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Wikipedia wrote:

6fc854201b82a69fe99cbf20265db6a2.png

Check out this too

Board footer